Author Topic: Catherine RICKARD - St. Columb Minor  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Peter Rickard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine RICKARD - St. Columb Minor
« on: Tuesday 31 March 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Catherine Rickard spinster and parishioner of St. Columb Minor married John Hooper bachelor and parishioner of St. Columb Minor on 2 August 1836.   Catherine was permitted to marry following the expiration of the Banns of Marriage.   Both Elizabeth and John signed the marriage registration with their respective ‘marks’, which suggest neither had received any formal education.   Witnesses to the marriage were Enoder Rickard and Mary Anne Hoare.   

When was Catherine born/christened?
Is it possible to identify her mother and father?   ???

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine RICKARD - St. Columb Minor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Not sure if this helps but there are a few christenings of Enoder Rickard on IGI born St Columb Minor.

Enodor Rickard s/o Enoder and Mary (possible marriage Enoder Rickard to Mary Chappel 6 July 1799, St Mewan)
27 sept 1818

Enoder Rickard s/o Pascoe Thomas Rickard and Cath.
11 July 1778

In 1871
St Columb Minoe
Kestle? Mill
Enoder Rickard head mar miller 57
Elizabeth wife 50
Enoder son 18 miller
Catherine dau 21
Mary Elizabeth dau 14
CATHERINE HOOPER boarder wid 66
all born St Columb Minor

Pity it doesn't give her relationship to Enoder  :-\

I wonder if her death cert may reveal more ..maybe Enoder registered it and states his relationship to her.
Catherine Hooper died  June q 1875, St Columb  vol 5c p 81

In 1861 Enoder snr has children including a Catherine and Pascoe T. which fits with his grandparent's names.

Now 1841 seems to have some clues

St Columb Minor
KESTLE MILL
Wm HOARE 15 Miller
MARY HOARE  50
Louisa Hoare 14
Jane 10
Thomas Rickard 10 FS

'next door'
Kestle Mill
Enoder Rickard 60 farrier   .... s/o Pascoe Thomas Rickard and Cath. ?
Mary 65
Enoder 15

on the next page are a whole lot of Rickards plus John and Catherine Hooper.

umm will try to figure out how Mary anne Hoare is related as she is one of the witnesses.

deb :)

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter Rickard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 09 06:28 BST (UK) »
 ;) Thank you Deb

On my quest "over the seas" in June 2007, I visited Kestle Mill.   It is not even a village - just a collection of farms near a mill - hence the occupations of miller which you have identified.

Apologies for the delay in replying.   

In and around Kestle Mill there would have been probably no more than 30 or so family farms so marrying next door neighbours would not surprise me.

Regards
Peter Rickard
Melbourne Australia

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 00:07 BST (UK) »
Forgive me for dredging up another old thread -- I'm hunting up Hoares who may be my ancestors and relations.

Mary Hoare who was 50 in 1841 in the household with young Thomas Rickard: I have assumed that this was her marriage:

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=598070

Mary Libbey to William Hoare, miller, both otp, 1816, St Columb Minor

William Hoare would be the son of John Hoare and Catherine Harpur, discussed in this thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,581741.0.html
That John Hoare was a miller; William was baptised 1786 St Erme and the family then moved to Lamorran, then Newlyn, then St Columb Minor. John Hoare's 1828 burial record shows him resident at Newquay.

William Hoare aged 29, shown as 15 in 1841, a miller, with mother Mary, is a farmer at Kestle Mill in 1851.

I don't imagine the two households are related; more likely Thomas Rickard was simply employed by the Hoare household in 1841.

The younger Enoder Rickard (in the 1871 census above in the thread, mistranscribed by Ancestry as Richard in 1851) seems to have taken over the mill itself from the Hoares by 1851 (and mother Mary Rickard is in the household). There could be a relationship with the Hoares, but not necessarily, and I'm not seeing what it might have been.

Just wanted to add this in case my Hoares turn out to be related to your Rickards somehow, and say hello, if you see it. ;)

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Country Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 13 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Janey

I have just had your message referred to me by a distant relative.   The Rickard family if memory serves me correct were millers at Kestle Mill from the early 1800s.   When visiting there in 2007 I can only remember one mill but perhaps there may have been a second on the same stream.   I will re-check my records.   If you want to correspond direct then please use my private email address *
Regards
Peter R

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:
  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 13 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Lad, thanks for the reply.

My connection here is that Mary Hoare in the 1841 census is the widow of William who probably had a sister who was probably my grx3 grandmother. ;)

Mary's son William is identified as "miller" in 1841. Quite possibly he worked for the Rickards, then, if there was likely only one mill there. Could be that the mill had belonged to Mary's husband William Hoare (since he was a miller when he married Mary Libbey in 1816) and the Rickards took over when William died.

This is probably the baptism of young William Hoare in 1822 in St Enoder (15+ in 1841):
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=2935338
with father William Hoare identified as miller, residence Jolly's Mill.

Aha, looks like my surmising is correct:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=2150654
Father William Hoare was buried in St Columb Minor in 1838, aged 51, residence "Kesstell Mill itp".

For the Rickard connection with Kestle Mill ...
Enoder Rickard aged 72 was buried in St Columb Minor in 1849, residence Kestle Mill:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=2150931
The only other burial I see showing Kestle Mill as residence is for Mary Rickard aged 78 in 1854.
The first Rickard baptism there seems to be Catherine in 1853 (born 1849, parents Enoder Rickard and Elizabeth Lawry).

So it does look like William Hoare and wife Mary were at Kestle Mill prior to 1841, and the Rickards took over after William's death, with young William continuing on working there for a while - in fact, the two households are both at Kestle Mill in 1841, so one might still think there was a connection! It looks so much like there might have been a Rickard-Hoare marriage, but I don't find one. Maybe just a Rickard-Hoare birth. ;)

The next series of households is at Quintrell Down(s) where there were numerous Rickard BMDs in the 1st half of the 1800s.

Young William Hoare and wife are still at Kestle Mill in 1851, with him a farmer, while Enoder Rickard at the same location is miller. There are two other households at Kestle Mill, miner and ag lab, so it seems to have become an "address" rather than referring to just the mill itself. (Present-day Google maps seems to give Kestle Mill as a location - wikipedia says it's a hamlet - with Kestle Farm located there.)

We can contact each other through the private messaging system at the site here. If you're related to the Rickards and can see a connection with the Hoares other than the proximity and apparent transfer of the mill from Hoares to Rickards, I'd be happy to direct you to more info about the Hoares. William, the first child, seems to be left out of most family trees likely because the surname was spelled Hore on the baptism, and my presumed grx3 grmother just doesn't appear anywhere, but in any event my own connection with the Rickards would likely be distant even if there was a Rickard-Hoare marriage or such.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline rachtravem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 23 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi. Am looking for information and supporting documents on the Rickard family. I am looking at John Rickard, Helland Cornwall, married to Ann Stone. Apparently parents are Pascoe and Catherine. Any help would be appreciated. John Died in Quintrell Downs 1846. Thank you