Author Topic: Need help with Le Boeuf/Le Geyt/Alexandre  (Read 5736 times)

Offline sandstar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help with Le Boeuf/Le Geyt/Alexandre
« on: Tuesday 31 March 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
My family comes from James Le Boeuf who was born in St. Heliers abt 1826 to Philippe Le Boeuf (born abt 1790) and Jeanne Anne Le Geyt (born 13 Oct 1790).  James ended up in Fernandina Beach, Florida, USA.

Philippe was the son of Jean Le Boeuf (born abt 1769) and Jeanne Alexandre (born ??).

Can anyone help me with any of these names? I would like to find out more about the siblings, parents, and other ancestors of these 3 families.

Thanks

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Le Boeuf/Le Geyt/Alexandre
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
I believe there is a Le Boeuf family tree lodged at the Societe Jersiaise Library

I will check it out in the next day or two.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes , I was right a Le Boeuf family tree has been lodged.

On there is a Jean, born 5th March 1769, parents Thomas and Marguerite. The tree goes back to 1598.

However, I cannot guarantee that this is your Jean as the tree is at the bottom and there is no mention of a wife or children.

James is not on this tree or his parents. Incidentally, James was baptized 21st August 1825.

I need to do a bit more work but can you tell me where you got the dates from?

Finally I recall that about 2 years ago I did some research for a gentleman in Florida on the Le Boeuf family and it may be worth looking at the following links:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,197488.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,164042.0.html

Stewart
PS Can you send me a private email with your email address in please?

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 09 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've now had the opportunity to look in a bit more detail.

Philippe was the son of Jean Le Boeuf (born abt 1769) and Jeanne Alexandre (born ??).

Jean and Jeanne were married in St Helier, 25th March 1783. This puts in doubt the birth date you gave of about 1769 as he would have only been 14! They had 7 children, all born in St Helier:

Jean 9th May 1784
Susanne 10th August 1788
Philippe 18th May 1790
George 17th August 1792
George (another one) 26th November 1794
Henry 16th December 1795
Charles 25th October 1797

Going back there are 4 Jean Le Bouef's born in St Helier between 1756 and 1762. This of course, throws into doubt the Family Tree that I have - it must be another part of the family.

My family comes from James Le Boeuf who was born in St. Heliers abt 1826 to Philippe Le Boeuf (born abt 1790) and Jeanne Anne Le Geyt (born 13 Oct 1790).  James ended up in Fernandina Beach, Florida, USA.

Philippe and Jeanne Anne married at St Helier Church, 2nd August 1811. They had the following children, all born St Helier:

James 21st August 1825
Mary Ann 11th January 1829
William 3rd October 1830
Frederick 8th April 1832

That seems rather a large gap from their marraige to their first child and I wonder if they had some other children in a different Parish.

Stewart

Offline sandstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I appreciate the help!  I got my dates and the names of Philippe's parents from a cousin in Australia. She is descended from Philippe's son Elias (Elie) Le Boeuf the 6th child of Philippe and Jeanne. Until I found this cousin I only new of the 3 of their children (Louisa, James, and Mary Ann). Louisa Le Boeuf married George Vickery my 3rd great grand uncle and brother of my 3rd great grand mother Mary Ann Vickery who married James Le Boeuf. I knew about Mary Ann Le Boeuf only after someone sent me a census and confused her with Mary Ann Vickery.  I realized that this was a different person and so discovered her. The children I currently have for Philippe and Jeanne are

Jane Le Boeuf born abt 1812
Eliza Le Boeuf born abt 1813
Philippe Le Boeuf born abt 1814
George Le Boeuf born abt 1815
Jean Le Boeuf born abt 1816
Elias Le Boeuf born 6 Feb 1818 and died 28 Mar 1890
Betsey Le Boeuf born abt 1819
Anne Le Boeuf born abt 1821
Charles Le Boeuf born abt 1822
Louisa Le Boeuf born abt 1824
James Le Boeuf  (my 3rd great grandfather)
Mary Ann Le Boeuf
William
Frederick

I don't have any locations for their births. I didn't have an exact birthdate for my own ancestor (James) until you found it for me! Thanks. I only had that he was born about 1825.

Since I got the dates for Jean Le Boeuf from someone without any documentation, I was a little suspicious of it anyway. I like to have documents to back up the information.

I'll bet all 4 of those Jean Le Boeuf's are all cousins too! Is there a way to find out which is Philippe's father?

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

Sadly, the original Parish Records are no longer available for viewing - all that is available are transcripts, of which you cannot take copies. However, all the information on the Parish Record has been transposed. I'm afraid you'll have to trust me.

I'll check the dates you've given me for the other children and be more specific. Remember they are baptism dates not birth dates.

As regards finding which Jean was Philippes father, I'm sure someone in Jersey will have done some research and know the right one. It just needs me to find that person!

I'll reply to your PM at the weekend.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again

The missing baptism dates (all St Helier) are:

Jane Le Boeuf 7th Feb 1812
Eliza Le Boeuf 16th Jun 1813
Philippe Le Boeuf  18th Aug 1814
George Le Boeuf  17th Sep 1815
Jean Le Boeuf  1st Dec 1816
Betsey Le Boeuf 21st Aug 1819
Anne Le Boeuf 11th Apr 1821
Charles Le Boeuf 14th Jul 1822
Louisa Le Boeuf 24th Jun 1823

She must have been worn out!!

As regards the father of Philippe, the researcher at the Societe Jersiaise and myself have tried to confirm which Jean was his father without success. We tackled it from several angles, first looking at the tree of Jeanne Alexander and then at the death records to see if it named his father. Sadly, nothing.

What we did find though was the death of Philippe on 1st March 1837 and Jeanne Anne on 24th April 1840.  They are both buried in the same grave (plot 92) at Green St Cemetery, St Helier along with an Elizabeth Le Boeuf. The transcription is unclear as they obviously had difficulty in reading the stone. What it does say is:

Elizabeth Le Boeuf leur fille (?? veuve de Phillipe Le Breton - Henry Le Geyt, aged 11  years 4 months)

This literally means she was their daughter and the widow of ..... and died aged 11!!!! Obviously wrong.

I do have one more place to look next week.

Stewart

Offline sandstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 09 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Stewart!

This is great!  Did you say that there was a tree for Jeanne Alexandre? How much information is there on her? I'm also interested in her family and Jeanne Anne Le Geyt's family. 

Angela

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 April 09 21:07 BST (UK) »
There are a number of Alexandre trees but they are all big sheets and can't fall in the copier!

I never looked for the birth for JA but did see some possibilities. Also there are trees for Le Geyt's and also books!

I'll have a look sometime next week.

Stewart