Author Topic: Lancashire Records Office.  (Read 94041 times)

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lancashire Records Office.
« on: Friday 18 February 05 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I go to the Lancashire Records Office quite often normally Wednesdays.If anybody wants a Look-Up please  tell me exactly what you want and I will see what I can do.
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Records Office.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 05 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your kind offer. If it's not too much trouble would it be possible for you look up some workhouse records for me. At the time of the 1891 census my direct ancestor Jane Latham/Lathom was living in the Blackburn Union Workhouse. She was born in 1818 in Chatburn, just outside Clitheroe, and died in Blackburn, presumably in the workhouse, in the September quarter of 1891.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Jane.
<b>England: </b>London/Mdx-Arnold, Allard, Davies; Lancashire-Fish, Latham, Driver, Denny; Yorkshire-Latham; Derbyshire-Swindell, Johnson; Devon-Taylor, Boyland, Cavanagh, Furze; Somerset- Forse, Tuttell; Surrey-Powell, Clarke; Cornwall-Knight
<b>Ireland: </b>Tipperary-Donnell, Keating; Down-Graham, Reid, Cleland; Carlow-Mahon, Redmond
<b>Germany: </b>Schlechtweg, Boerner
<b>Scotland: </b>Fife-Martin, Seath; Glasgow-Hart, Grant
<b>Wales: </b>Monmouth-Kelly

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 05 08:27 GMT (UK) »
more than likely go this Wednesday, have you got her on the other census.I am  interested in your Swindell name from which area do they come?
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 05 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi D Livesey,
Not sure if you can look this up in Lancs Records Office or if its only at Manchester.
Anyway, I would really like to find the baptism record of Thomas Paine FILDES born in 1817/1818 in Manchester.  The Paine bit as a middle name was only used on his marriage certificate, not on any birth certificates of his children.
I have reason to believe he was christened at Manchester Cathedral - most of the family, before and after, were christened/married there.
I know his father was called William but that's about it.
If you can get to look for it, I would be eternally grateful, if not then thanks anyway. 8)
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 05 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is a really kind offer.

If the Records Office hold the parish records for St Chads Rochdale I would really appreciate a look up for the following marriage.

30 November 1829

JOSEPH TRAVIS  cotton spinner & ALICE DAWSON

many thanks

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by the other census, but here are Jane Latham's details in the 1891 and 1881 censuses:

From the 1891 census - Blackburn Union Workhouse, Blackburn South, Lancashire
Lathom, Jane: pauper; widow; age 73; occupation - charwoman (retired);  born - Clitheroe, Lancashire

From the 1881 Census - 25 Accrington Rd, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
Latham, Richard: lodger (head); married; age 65; birthplace - Settle, Yorkshire, England; occupation - carter out of employment
Latham, Jane: wife; married; age 62; birthplace - Chatburn, Lancashire; occupation - housekeeper

Richard Latham died in 1885, so I suspect Jane would have entered the workhouse some time after this.

My Swindells came originally from Parwich in Derbyshire, and then moved to Derby sometime in the 1870's. Do you have Swindells in your family too?

Thanks again,

Jane. :)
<b>England: </b>London/Mdx-Arnold, Allard, Davies; Lancashire-Fish, Latham, Driver, Denny; Yorkshire-Latham; Derbyshire-Swindell, Johnson; Devon-Taylor, Boyland, Cavanagh, Furze; Somerset- Forse, Tuttell; Surrey-Powell, Clarke; Cornwall-Knight
<b>Ireland: </b>Tipperary-Donnell, Keating; Down-Graham, Reid, Cleland; Carlow-Mahon, Redmond
<b>Germany: </b>Schlechtweg, Boerner
<b>Scotland: </b>Fife-Martin, Seath; Glasgow-Hart, Grant
<b>Wales: </b>Monmouth-Kelly

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Jane I meant to say the earlier census 1841-1871,I will go tomorrow providing weather is Ok ,we have had a little bit of snow today.
Our best friends are Swindell,it was a large family from all over Derbyshire I think  Buxton Matlock and other places, his parents lived in Stockport.

Offline CathyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This is a wonderful offer for someone who lives in Somerset!
Please could you look in the 1851 census for Ribbleton, Preston.  I am trying to find Thomas and Grace Parker with a son James who was born in 1847 in Ribbleton - no further address given.  Thomas was a weaver.  Is there an 1851 name index that you could check?
Many thanks.
CathyP
Parker - Ribbleton, Peston
Aldridge - London and Kent
Hardman - Surrey and Kent
Barker -  Essex and London
Mattingly - London

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dinkey
I  haven't really got a lot of info the records were very brief .Joseph Travis and Alice Dawson were from Spotland,Rochdale.Alice was a spinster and the marriage was by banns.J.R. Baines or Raines was curate and  both their witnesses must have been somebody from the church because the two names appeared on quite a few of the marriages.Sorry there was no more info and I think your other requst didn't get posted to me but I can look it up again if your not in a hurry

d.livesey