Author Topic: Lancashire Records Office.  (Read 94035 times)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Records Office.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Really appreciate the lookup. Shame it didn't come up with more info. for me.

No panic about the other query.

regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane,
Just to let you know I went to the Records today.I was told that Blackurn Union Workhouse had no details of entries or deaths at the workhouse.I requested minute books from1884 -1891 but soon realized that individual names were very rarely mention. I then asked where she would have been buried and they said if it was a paupers burial it probably would be Blackburn Cemetery although that wouldnot mean she didn't have a church service,since I wasn't aware of the religion I thought it would be pointless wading through things.However I got the Blackburn Cem Register of Burials and there was 1 for 1891 in the name of Jane Alice Latham.I obtained  as much detail as I could from there any. Further info you might get  from the Cemetry Dept at Blackburn.I have taken some references down if you need them I will send them to you privately.Sorry I couldn't find more out for you.
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 February 05 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks so much for all the time and effort you put into looking for Jane Latham. I really appreciate it.  ;D I am interested in the other information you have. Could you please email it to me at:

jforse[at]hotmail[dot]com

Thanks again for all your help.

Jane.
<b>England: </b>London/Mdx-Arnold, Allard, Davies; Lancashire-Fish, Latham, Driver, Denny; Yorkshire-Latham; Derbyshire-Swindell, Johnson; Devon-Taylor, Boyland, Cavanagh, Furze; Somerset- Forse, Tuttell; Surrey-Powell, Clarke; Cornwall-Knight
<b>Ireland: </b>Tipperary-Donnell, Keating; Down-Graham, Reid, Cleland; Carlow-Mahon, Redmond
<b>Germany: </b>Schlechtweg, Boerner
<b>Scotland: </b>Fife-Martin, Seath; Glasgow-Hart, Grant
<b>Wales: </b>Monmouth-Kelly

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 February 05 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the message on this - will have to try something else!
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline ricksmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 March 05 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for the offer.  Would you be able to lookup the following people:

Richard HARDMAN:
The following is from the Lancashire County Council:
“According to the Calendar of crown prisoners for the Lancashire Quarter Sessions (QJC 1), Richard Hardman (aged 22), along with two other men, was committed for trial on 15 November 1815 by Rev. Thomas Drake and Rev. William Horton and charged with having assulted and robbed James Scholfield of a pocket book and seven Bank of England notes, "for one pound each", on the King's Highway at Birtle-cum-Bamford.  Hardman was convicted on 23rd March 1816 and having been found guilty on another indictment (unspecified), was transported for 14 years.

More details could be found in the Quarter Sessions order book (QSO 2/185) and the indictment roll (QJ1 1/190).

-----------------
The Lancaster Gazette
Saturday November 18th 1815

Committed to our Castle, since our last………William Duncan, James Shaw, and Richard Hardman, charged with having assaulted and robbed James Scholfield, on the King’s highway, in the township of Birtle cum Bamford, near Rochdale.

NSW records:
Richard Hardman convicted on 23rd March 1816 at the Lancashire Assizes.  Sentenced to 14 years.  Native Place was Lancashire.  He was a labourer.  His age was 22 years.  His height was 5 foot 4 inches.  His complexion was sallow.  His hair was brown.  His eyes were Hazel.

Ann SPENCER:
The following is from the Lancashire County Council:
The Lancashire Quarter Session Order Book (QSO 2/186) records the verdict of the trial of Ann Spencer at Salford on 23rd April 1817 as follows:

“Whereas Ann Spencer late of Mancherster in the said County Singlewoman hath at this Session been convicted of Felony.  This Court therefore order and adjudge that she (sic) shall be sent and transported to some part beyond the Seas for the Term of Seven years pursuant to the Statute in such case provided.”

Other Quarter Sessions records such as the recognizances and the indictment rolls may provide further deatails.

The Manchester Mercury
April 29th 1817

…….Ann Spencer, for stealing twist, from Messrs Clogg & Co…….

-----------------------------------
ANN SPENCER, Police Number 77. Convicted at Lancaster Quarter Session on 23rd April 1817 for 7 years. Transported for Larceny.

That is about all the information that I have.

Many thanks if not able.
Kind regards
Rick
SMITH - Tasmania, AUS, LEVETT - Sussex, ENG, CHRISTIE - Scotland, ELLIS - Lincolnshire, ENG, HARDMAN - Tasmania, AUS, (de) BOMFORD - Tasmania, Australia, Ireland and England, RICHARDSON - Ireland & Tasmania, AUS, DENNIS - Cornwall, ENG & Victoria, AUS, DEASON - Cornwall, ENG & Victoria, AUS, KERRISON - Norfolk, ENG & Tasmania, AUS, McIVER/McIVOR Scotland and Tasmania, AUS, TOBIN - Ireland, Victoria and Tasmaina, AUS

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 March 05 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rick
I will see what I can do.It is a pityI did get your post until today I was at the Lancashire Records Office yesterday and it will probably be about 3 weeks now bfore I go again[I look after the grandchildren when school finishes for Easter this Friday for 2 weeks but I will get there]

Dorothy
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricksmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 March 05 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,

No problems.  I'm in no hurry and I would image that you have several requests to fulfill.  I'm grateful for the kind offer.  Except what I have given you I know nothing about Richard's and Ann's life in England nor any relatives.  My father is getting on in years and would dearly love know something more.

A piece of extra information is the following:
Richard Hardman
Along with William Duncan and James Shaw, Richard Hardman was convicted of assaulting and robbing James Scholfield at Birtle-cum-Bamford, near Rochdale
Date Tried: 15th November 1815, Manchester Quarter Sessions
Sentence: Death by hanging, later commuted to 7 years transportation.

In case you are wondering what became of him.  He married Ann Spencer in Launceston, Tasmania and they had several children and he died at an early age due to drinking as seen by this.

From the "Launceston Advertiser", Thursday, 11th October 1830, page 3:
"On Wednesday, Mr Richard Hardman, of this town, breathed his last; he had been unwell from the Saturday before, he got worse this day, and expired suddenly about noon. He has left a widow and a family of small children to lament his loss, if it is a loss to lose a man who gave up all his faculties to drink, who robs himself of his health, his domestic comforts, and most of the pleasures of life in order to sacrifice his time to the pernicious practice of beastly intoxication.

Fellow citizens look around and ponder how few of the inhabitants of this town, die a death in which habit of intoxication have not had a prominent part, a how great a proportion of these deaths are owing, strictly owing to the poisonous and beastly practice of intoxication."

His wife and family became success farmers/business people and were well thought of.  Richard's granddaughter became the wife of the Mayor of the City in later times.

Please visit his webpage at the following for more information:
http://www.comp.utas.edu.au/users/rsmith/hardman/wc01/wc01_376.html

Many thanks once again.

Kind regards
Rick
SMITH - Tasmania, AUS, LEVETT - Sussex, ENG, CHRISTIE - Scotland, ELLIS - Lincolnshire, ENG, HARDMAN - Tasmania, AUS, (de) BOMFORD - Tasmania, Australia, Ireland and England, RICHARDSON - Ireland & Tasmania, AUS, DENNIS - Cornwall, ENG & Victoria, AUS, DEASON - Cornwall, ENG & Victoria, AUS, KERRISON - Norfolk, ENG & Tasmania, AUS, McIVER/McIVOR Scotland and Tasmania, AUS, TOBIN - Ireland, Victoria and Tasmaina, AUS

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi dotty - I know you may not get to the records office for a while, but thought I'd post a query while it was fresh in my mind.

I'm looking to find more about any of the following deaths:

James ENDSOR died between Jul and Sep 1837 in Chorlton on Medlock.

Jane ENDSOR died between Apr and Jun 1865 in Manchester.

William ENDSOR, 64, died between Jan and Mar 1885 in West Derby.

ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline Judy B.

• RootsChat Extra
  • J.B. Hunter - who is this man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 March 05 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for parish register entries of the RC St. Mary's Chapel (The Hidden Gem) on Mulberry St.  I understand the LRO has them.

Abraham Wood and Mary Anne Blakeley were married there on 26 Nov. 1852.  I have their marriage cert but no idea how many and where the children were baptized.  John Blakeley Wood born 3 Feb. 1854 is theirs for sure and Caroline Florence Wood born June quarter 1860 and Frederick Wood born Sept. quarter of 1859 are hopefuls.

Would it be possible to check for Wood baptisms (Parents Abraham Wood/Mary Anne formerly Blakeley) beginning after the marriage of 1852.

Thank you.
Judy
I am sorry but my email address is no longer working.