Author Topic: 'Fairfield', Hawthorn, Pontypridd  (Read 9038 times)

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Fairfield', Hawthorn, Pontypridd
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 July 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a shoeshine boy up to 1914 at Fairfield.    He used to travel with the owners.,  don't know their names sorry, up to their second home in Llandrindod Wells.    At 14 he enlisted for WW1 by altering his birth certificate and joined the army.   His family contacted the owners of Fairfield and they paid for his release as he was underage.   He then returned to work for them before he enlisted again later.
    What a kind thing to do, so if these are your relatives then 'Thank You ' because without their kindness I wouldn't be here most probably.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 July 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
HI  Elizabeth Miles lived in this house in 1911  she also owned the The Metropole in Llandrindod Wells  If you visit the hotel in Llandrindod  there is a painting at this Hotel.  She also run the The New Inn in Pontypridd.  She was left a widow with two young chlldren  whilst living in Pontypridd  but became very successful and rich.   Her tombstone is in Sty Marys Church in Glyntaff Pontypridd   I helped write a book recently and she was one of the subjects included 

Kindest regards
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 August 21 04:49 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a shoeshine boy up to 1914 at Fairfield. ... At 14 he enlisted for WW1 by altering his birth certificate and joined the army.   His family contacted the owners of Fairfield and they paid for his release as he was underage.   He then returned to work for them before he enlisted again later.
What a kind thing to do, so if these are your relatives then 'Thank You ' because without their kindness I wouldn't be here most probably.

That is, indeed, very kind. Thank you for commenting. :)
I have no idea what our family relationship is to this place; just a mention of it being connected, by a now-deceased cousin. I wish I knew more :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 August 21 04:52 BST (UK) »
HI  Elizabeth Miles lived in this house in 1911 ....
Kindest regards
Heddwch
Thank you :)
She sounds like a very interesting woman. Do you know if 'Miles' was her married or maiden name, please, because, during the same conversation with this elderly cousin, he mentioned a lady named Elizabeth, or Lizzie.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 August 21 17:59 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Miles   born  1847  died 1837    The daugher of Francis and Diana Spencer who kept an inn in Treforest
Elizabeth  was a widow in 1881 census  she had two young children age  one year old and the other 2 months.  Her husband Shadrach Miles    and sadly died in at the age of 29 years   They married in 1867
She run the Bridgend Inn in Ystradyfodwg  then New Inn in Pontypridd  and had 20 staff to help here.
She owned other hotels  Bridge Hotel in Llandrindod Wells   and was the largest Hotel in Wales
She also renamed the hotel the Metropole  and is it still there today and a photo of her is on the walls there.  Her sons William and Francishad now reached manhood and helped her with her Business
She lived in Fairfield House

Heddwch

Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 February 22 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Miles   born  1847  died 1837    The daugher of Francis and Diana Spencer who kept an inn in Treforest
Elizabeth  was a widow in 1881 census  she had two young children age  one year old and the other 2 months.  Her husband Shadrach Miles    and sadly died in at the age of 29 years   They married in 1867
She run the Bridgend Inn in Ystradyfodwg  then New Inn in Pontypridd and had 20 staff to help here.
She owned other hotels  Bridge Hotel in Llandrindod Wells   and was the largest Hotel in Wales
She also renamed the hotel the Metropole  and is it still there today and a photo of her is on the walls there.  Her sons William and Francis had now reached manhood and helped her with her Business
She lived in Fairfield House

Heddwch

Hello Heddwch,
Sorry for such a long delay in replying. I only just found your reply.

Thank you for the information. I shall look into this further and see what I can find out. It's all very interesting.

I have certainly heard of the New Inn in Pontypridd. Mum has mentioned it to me several times. I'll ask her about this. :)

All the best
Tricia :)