Author Topic: France's Legion d'Honneur recipients  (Read 3972 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
France's Legion d'Honneur recipients
« on: Wednesday 01 April 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
In an article at this website...on 9th Nov 1998

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ewm/ewm98/ewm245.html

There is mention of the following happening on Rememberence Day by Cenotaph in St Peter's Square, Manchester

"Nine First World War soldiers from the Manchester area were given France's Legion d'Honneur. They are: Mike Lally, 104, John Baird 102, Reuben Heywood 99, Percy Wilson 99, Victor Chappell 100, Frank Tipping 100, Tom Tommins 100, Arthur Coleman 98 and John Hamnett 99."

I am looking into it for an old family friend...in particular Victor Chappell aged 100 who I think is a relative of hers.   Family tales say that he was awarded a big medal, and that it was possibly for work done in France - possibly in early part of the 2nd World War....   He may have been a civilian engineer at this time. Lived and worked in Manchester/Stockport.   

Apparently he said he couldn't remember what it was he had done to merit the award (not sure how true this is). No mention of the medal having been for work during 1st World War.   

However.....this is all 3rd and 4th hand so I don't know what is true and what is not....But I would like to know more.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I find out why Victor Chappell was awarded this honour?   I have not found a medal card or service papers for WW1 service but know he was very old when he died and that was only a few years ago so about 100 in 1998 would be about right.

Thanks

Milly
 ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: France's Legion d'Honneur recipients
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've just found this list for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L%C3%A9gion_d%27honneur_recipients_by_name
Whether the list is complete, I'm not sure - sadly I cannot see his name on it, at first glance.
Kind regards,
Paulene :)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
The remaining old boys left from the British and French armies of WW1 were ALL awarded the L d'H in 1998 for the 80th anniversary of the Armistice.

Because of the way the medal was incepted, it can be awarded for all number of reasons...Not just "war fighting"
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 09 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Willow - yes I had seen that and been disappointed by the absence of my chap!

Thanks Scrimnet.....Judging from the number of men receiving it on that day in 1998 your explanation makes perfect sense. Is there a list anywhere do you know?

Family story says it was for something he did with engineering in WW2 (during which he was a civilian apparently so a little odd anyway).... Don't suppose that sounds so likely now does it?

Milly
 ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
I know that there was around 350 of them, but i haven't seen a list...I expect the French Embassy would help, or the British legion whom I suspect would have compiled the list!

Family stories hold very little water at times...As is oft times found on RC when they are scrutinised!

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 09 00:12 BST (UK) »
Well he was apparently rather vague himself about why he had received a medal...and as he was 100 years old I guess that's OK... ;D

Milly

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 09 00:28 BST (UK) »
Well he was apparently rather vague himself about why he had received a medal...and as he was 100 years old I guess that's OK... ;D

Milly

What's your excuse then??

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 April 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
I am driven to my senior moments by my dear old other half ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D