Author Topic: The General Cemetery, Nottingham - BOWN  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Pat236

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The General Cemetery, Nottingham - BOWN
« on: Wednesday 01 April 09 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I have a Will of Reuben BOWN and in it he has left a request that a plaque be erected on the grave of his parents with the inscription as follows:-
"In loving memory of Ellen Bown(nee Wrigglesworth) wife of William John Bown died 1917 also William John Bown died 1948 from their son Reuben and daughter-in-law Linda also other sons and daughters including baby son Arthur"
Grave No. 17118 Plot 399-10-8 Vol 346
Is there anyone who perhaps lives closeby and would be willing to photograph this for me or just confirm the inscription and would there be any other information as we know nothing of  "baby Arthur"
Perhaps someone could point me in the direction of contacting someone at the cemetery.
Would appreciate any help.
Regards
Patricia
Taylor - Birmingham - Cardiff
Hedley - Northumberland - Swansea - Cardiff
Amyes - Norfolk
Spanton - Norfolk
Ash - Isle of wight
Baggs - Hampshire
Clisett - Monmouthshire - Worcester
Flynn - Ireland
Madley - Llandogo, Monmouthshire
McNaughton - Northumberland
Quick - Somerset - Wales
Watts - Devon - Somerset - Cardiff

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: The General Cemetery, Nottingham - BOWN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 09 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia,
I've just been looking at the General Cemetery cd and note the infomation regarding Ellen and William John's grave - it is a bit confusing isn't it!
Just wondering where you got the information about the gave number, etc? Unfortunately the cd doesn't give any information as to where the grave is, and that means it's going to be very difficult to locate. It also doesn't help that the cemetery office use a completely different system of describing to locate the grave :-\ and are the ,marking system in the cemetery is not easy.
I went there last autumn to try to locate a grave for a rootschatter, and rang the cemetery for help to locate it, but the information was so confusing it took me hours to try to find it - I gave up in the end. Fortunately I found the name on the cd, and the map used by the makers of the cd, and on my second visit found it quite easily.
However, as I said there is nothing on the cd to say which part of the cemetery this one is in; and that's going to make it a mammoth task :'(
I can appreciate how difficult it will be for you to get there yourself, from South Wales. I don't live in Notts anymore, but may be going later in the month, but without an idea of where it is I don't know if I can help. Sorry!
The cemetery office have been having problems recently - a member of staff left, whether they are back on track now I don't know.
Here are the contact details for Annette:
www.rootschat.com/links/05zc
If you can get them to send you a map of where the grave is and put a map on the thread that would help someone locate the grave easily (the map is copyright, but if you don't post a full size map, and just show the part of the cemetery where the grave is, this should be ok)
Sorry I can't be more positive at this stage.
Good luck.
Paulene :)

Offline Pat236

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 09 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline
Thank you for your reply, the information about the grave number is stated in his will, and a story passed on in the family is that a member of the family visited the solicitors in Jersey where the will was written and was asked by the solicitor to go and see if the wishes of Reuben had been done and yes they did go and see a plaque had been erected. I will try and find a map and possibly come back to you.
Thanks again
Patricia
Taylor - Birmingham - Cardiff
Hedley - Northumberland - Swansea - Cardiff
Amyes - Norfolk
Spanton - Norfolk
Ash - Isle of wight
Baggs - Hampshire
Clisett - Monmouthshire - Worcester
Flynn - Ireland
Madley - Llandogo, Monmouthshire
McNaughton - Northumberland
Quick - Somerset - Wales
Watts - Devon - Somerset - Cardiff

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,
What a considerate ancestor :D
The problem is whether the cemetery department can locate it - hope so.
Paulene :)