Author Topic: EGAN  (Read 8841 times)

Offline sanz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EGAN
« on: Thursday 02 April 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Searching for  Patrick EGAN 1790 and wife  Bridget  KELLY/KEILY 1796.  These people came to AUSTRALIA with 3 or 4 young children ,  to start new life in  1840s .  They settled in SOUTH AUSTRALIA.  Their eldest a daughter  BRIDGET married my family person THOMAS PAIN/PAYNE  from ENGLAND in 1850 in Adelaide SA.  Any persons out their related ?  Thanks    SANDRA  PAIN
payne/paine wilkins, greaves boleyn royality bickerton

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: EGAN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
dont know if you know a location for the Egan's  - but here are a few Kings County/Offaly entries from Pigots Commercial Directory of 1824. (I am assuming that the mention of the 1940s is a typo...)

Parsonstown/Birr
  John Egan , Main-street - Grocer
  John Egan , Main-street - Linen & Woolen Draper

Philipstown/Daingean
  Bartholomew Egan - Publican

and from Slaters 1846

Birr
  Dennis Egan, Market square - Boot & Show Maker
  Patrick Egan, Grave yard - Culter & Gunsmith
  John Egan & Co. Main st - Grocer
  Thomas Egan , Main st - Publican
  John Egan & Co. Main st -  Seedsman

Clara
  Patrick Egan -  timber merchant and  tallow chandler

Tullamore
  Constantia Egan, Barrack st  - Bookseller (Stationer & Printer)
  David Burgess Egan, Barrack st - Bookseller (Stationer & Printer)
  Egan Michael, William st, Tullamore - Grocer

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your help, im not sure on the names you gave.  Im looking for a marriage i suppose of Patrick and Bridget, then  names of children as i only have eldest Bridget Jnr.  Im told they had 3 or 4 children and they were youngens when came out on boat,  Bridget was abt 19yrs when she married to my family person in Adelaide SA.  Also her father was in his 40s when he was in australia at her wedding?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
The dates are quite a bit before civil registration and there's no online access to parish registers for Offaly at the moment but hopefully they will made available on the IFHF system at some point.

Sometimes If you know a trade or business it's possible to locate a probable match using the trade directories.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, the thing is I do not know of their trades, hard enough trying to find how they got to Australia , and reason why they went to the dead of the outback to make a life.  Only first settlers discovering the areas in that part of the country around 1840s/50s. Actually squatters on the land,  sheep and cattle. They needed medals just to do that, and to drag the wifes and children along too . BEATS  ME......SANDRA

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 09 14:38 BST (UK) »
maybe they were farmers who left just before or during the famine ...

the Egan surname does seem to occur around those Offaly towns I mentioned. The top counties where the surname appears are :

1.      Offaly      277   
2.      Tipperary      248   
3.      Roscommon      220   
4.      Galway      219   
5.      Mayo      144   

Your Egan's had presumably left Ireland by the time of Griffiths Valuation - but you can search for people on Griffiths valuation :

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_start.php 

This was carried out as a land valuation for taxation purposes and shows heads of houseold.  Most of this was carried out between 1851 and 1854 for Kings Co./Offaly
A search for Egan in the county gives over 500 results

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline sanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 09 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, I Looked through the Griffths Valuation, if i only knew an address would have been good. I have been told to search shipping in particular IRELAnd to AMERICA or AMERICA to AUSTRALIA  FOR EGANS sounds like hard work for this, I never gave it a thought  that they may have immigrated to USA first, then to AUSTRALIA. Was that common  in IRELAND ?  Shane just found out  from wedding cert spelt their names EAGAN????

Offline geavic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 03:31 BST (UK) »
A good link I found was in shipping arrivals for South Australia eg: the Cheapside 1849 (refer State Library of SA)
Ashton Beck Coates Day Donoghue Egan Gleason Kelsall O'Connell Putland Ryan Stormont