Author Topic: Kennedy of Paisley  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Kennedy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kennedy of Paisley
« on: Friday 03 April 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
I'm building my family tree and looking for the Kennedy family Paisley and their decendents from 1881 to present. Charles Kennedy married Margaret Fairlie in 1880 their children were Charles (my grandad)
John Kerr Kennedy,Thomas Caldwell Kennedy, Robert Fairlie Kennedy, Annie,young kennedy, Elisabeth Andrew Kennedy,Rachel Kennedy,David Kennedy and Margaret Kennedy.
Anyone with links/ info would be great.
Also George Kennedy son of a rachel whom had a leg amputated and became a hairdresser in Paisley, I believe he may have had his own salon around 1950

regards Kennedy 1

In memory of Hannah Williamson Kennedy

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy of Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 09 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Kennedy

think you need to visit Scotland's People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Records Pay per view fraid but what you need is there

Ann :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 09 09:26 BST (UK) »
Got a John Kennedy and a Catherine Sargen who moved to Paisley from Lanarkshire around 1864 children born in Paisley were Agnes 1864,Margaret 1866,Theresa 1867,Joseph 1869. Another daughter Sarah married a John Drummond in Saint Mirin Church Paisley August 12, 1869.
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Offline Kennedy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
I have a very elusive John Kennedy born in Fort George Nairn in 1844, the last I heard of him was on my great grandparents 1851 census of Paisley, everything else I come across ie census records no mention, cant find any record of death ?
The kennedys went to lanarkshire and returned to Paisley still no mention, Charles was his brother and his sister Jane (married James Jarvis) was born in Ireland.
regards Shirley

Offline Kennedy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ann. Yes I am a member of Scotland people and yes your right can be costly but certainley been worth it, can't find some things though ie my Kennedys married in an Eposcipol church so had to write to the parish. Getting stuck and that is why Iv'e turned to Roots chat fingers crossed eh 
Shirley ;)

Offline jamesunst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
I have some information on your family. I believe John's father, also called John, was a captain in the British army in Dublin c.1806. The captain was seriously ill then.

I have material writtten by the Captain's brother (Duncan?) plus quite a bit on Duncan's children. Through his 2nd eldest son, Charles Walker Kennedy, I can bring you down to the present day.

There's too much to put on this message board. Hopw can I contact you to send jpegs?

James

Offline jamesunst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
Was the father of Margaret Fairlie's husband called Charles Walker Kennedy?  If so I have quite a lot of material on C.W> Kennedy. his brothers and parents.

James

Offline Kennedy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Havent as yet come across the name Walker in our Kennedy Family , the wedding cert(margaret fairlie/fairley just says kennedy they were married Paisley 1880. His father also Charles  born 1808 hails from Dublin he was a soldier in the 87th Irish foot regiment tilll 1847  he married Elizabeth Andrew of Paisley in 1836,his father John blacksmith Dublin,

Charles  Kennedy (1808 )Wedding Paisley 1836 no mention of Walker?

Regards Kennedy 1

Offline Kennedy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 23:01 BST (UK) »
Very kind of you to send the documents, can make a little of them out, is there a military connection to the 87th foot do you think ?

1808  Charles Kennedys wife Elizabeths father had military background 4th fencibles of Fife ?
Regards Kennedy1