Author Topic: Letters from Norfolk Migrants  (Read 820 times)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Letters from Norfolk Migrants
« on: Friday 03 April 09 21:08 BST (UK) »
I recently purchased a book about the life and times in Norfolk in the middle 1800's

It's called "Labouring Life in Norfolk Villages 1834 -1914"  At the back of the book are some interesting letters from the migrants.  Unfortunately the author left out the names of the persons concerned but they make interesting reading.

Carneston - Aug 26 1843.

I have got fifty acres of land, for which I pay 45 dollars. or £11 5s. currency, per year, on which I can keep 5 head of cow cattle..... Shoemaking is very good business in the country.  I can get 5s. for making one pair of boots and 2s. 6d. for one pair of shoes.  The former is what you call Wellington Boots. If I make them in my own house, I will get 6s 3d a pair.   We kill five or six hundredweight of pork every year and eat it all ourselves.  We have to sell it as you do.... It is a great country for rearing fowls this. I have twenty hens.  We have preachers preaching in all parts of the country the the end of the world will be 25 of March 1844.  I will be glad to know if you have it preached at home.  Market butter id from 5s. to 7s. per pound; potatoes are from 3s. to 4s. per bushel; beef is from 2d to 4d. a pound; eggs from 6d. to 7d. per dozen; flour is from 12s. 6d. to 13s. per hundred.  This is a fine fruitful country of everything except money and it is very scarce.  Any person that comes to this country he must learn his trade in the new. Boots are all pegged. I can make one pair of boots in a day.  I have nothing of it to do in the summer, but have plenty of it to do in the winter.  Boots and shoes are pretty much the same price as they are at home.

Brackhaven (Canada) 26 Jan. 1873.

I must tell you how we are getting on, which is far better than we expected.  We are meeting with the best of treatment, we have completed one weeks work, and have given satisfaction enough to have a fresh agreement with master, as he is going to give me 50 pounds, and my wife 30 pounds and Maria 50 pounds and Kezia 12 pounds and Jabez 25 dollars, which is 5 pounds in english money, and stephen is to take care of the baby. Gezra will have good learning for free,  I will tell you what i had for dinner today, apple tart, meat, rice, cheese, four meals a day and all that i ever want, and plenty of tea and sugar we want  Jack is as good as his master here.  I tell you the truth as i find it. We are all as one here.

---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe