Author Topic: My Looney ancestors  (Read 3492 times)

Offline James1950

• RootsChat Senior
  • Colour Sergeant Garrett Barry
    • View Profile
My Looney ancestors
« on: Saturday 04 April 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone assist me with how to trace back my Irish ancestors?

My GG Grandfather was Garrett Barry born Tralee 1834. He came to Burnley Lancashire as a soldier where he spent the most of his life. He died in 1894. He was married to Jane Looney who was born in Tralee in 1844.

I believe Garretts father was also Garrett Barry and was possibly married to Ellen Connor.

Janes father was Jermiah Looney a stone mason who married Elizabeth Kennelly. I do not have any dates for them.

Any information or advice on where to further search would be appreciated.

James

Heyworth/  Harrison/ Broughton/Cook/Crooke/Duxbury ~  Pendle
Myerscough ~ Lancashire
Eastwood ~ Burnley
Chppendale ~ Bradford
Bulcock ~Pendle
Cropper/ Heap/Shackleton  ~ Bacup ~ Todmorden
Barry/Looney / Kennely ~ Tralee Kerry

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: My Looney ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 09 00:17 BST (UK) »

Hi James,

"google" Garrett Barry + Tralee.

I am not sure if you have found this but looks like someone else knows this family. Garrett had a brother Patrick ;D

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 09 00:33 BST (UK) »

EDIT, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED HERE ;D ???

I was sending you a PM with this info and got error message. Then I resent and this ended up on posting which should not happen as you cannot cut/post on here ::)

Anyhow there is quite alot on this family if you do a bit of googling- I hope you have not found all this ;)

Cheers,
Trish
 I am replying on behalf of my wife Kathleen. I am named after my grandfather, Thomas Barry who was the son of Garrett Barry born ca. 1838 in Tralee, County Kerry. Garrett's father was also named Garrett and his occupation was given as a farmer. Garrett, Jr. migrated to Burnley, Lancashire, UK about 1860 with his bride, Jane Looney. He was a career military man and ultimately rose to the rank of Colour Sergeant. Upon retirement, he became a drill instructor and served both public and private schools in this capacity. Following the death of Jane ca. 1870, Garrett, Jr. married Ann Doyle of Scarborough. I descend from this later marriage. My grandfather, Thomas, left England in 1903 along with his wife Eliza nee Buckley, my mother Cora Claire and my mother's sister, Hilda. They reestablished themselves in New Bedford, MA.
You have the early history of the Barry family down pat. I might add that Angharad's mother was Nesta, daughter of the last king of South Wales, Rhys ap Tewdor. Nesta was a woman of renowned beauty, so much so, that Henry I, king of England,arranged for her to be kidnapped and he had several children by her. I believe the popularity of the name Garrett (which is the Irish version of Gerald), stems from the degree of fame acquired by the youngest son of William and Angharad de Barry--Gerald, who was an acclaimed scholar and cleric of his time--and who authored many works under the name of Geraldus Cambrensis. You might try to obtain a copy of a monumental genealogical study of the Barry family entitled The Barrys of Barrymore written by Rev. Edmund Barry and published early in the 20th century. Try your local library for an inter-library loan.
Hope the foregoing has been of some use and interest to you. Thanks for sharing information.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline James1950

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 09 00:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your information. Garretts photo is the picture I chose to put with my profile.

James
Myerscough ~ Lancashire
Eastwood ~ Burnley
Chppendale ~ Bradford
Bulcock ~Pendle

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 09 00:56 BST (UK) »

He is a very handsome man ;D

Irish research is incredibly hard and most of us give up or put it on hold until we retire and can visit the "home country" ;D

I was incredibly lucky as I found whilst googling cousins who had ben to Ireland and did the hard slog going through Parish Records. Hope you are too ;D

Trish

Offline James1950

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 09 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the warning. I keeping planning a trip to Tralee. Maybe this year ;D

Myerscough ~ Lancashire
Eastwood ~ Burnley
Chppendale ~ Bradford
Bulcock ~Pendle

Offline Barryjp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 22 15:22 BST (UK) »
I am very new to all this but I am going through a file of our family tree and it seems to run out on the Barry name in Ireland with Garrett Barry.  He married Jane Looney c1860 who was the daughter of Jeremiah Looney and Elizabeth Kennelly…and that’s as far back as I can see.

My name is John Barry and Garrett Barry and Jane Looney were my Great Great Grandparents. 

I have seen some sort of links to the Barrymores but I can’t see the connection.  If anyone can help with any further information and extended family ancestry I’d be very grateful.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 October 22 20:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Barryjp.
 James1950 posted on RootsChat last year. If he's still receiving email notifications of new posts, he should get a message that there's a new reply on this thread.
Cowban

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 October 22 20:46 BST (UK) »
I have seen some sort of links to the Barrymores but I can’t see the connection.  If anyone can help with any further information and extended family ancestry I’d be very grateful.

Barrymore family name was originally Blythe-
https://blog.myheritage.com/2019/04/all-in-the-family-the-barrymores/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!