Author Topic: My Looney ancestors  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Barryjp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Looney ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 October 22 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. :)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 October 22 19:36 BST (UK) »
I am very new to all this but I am going through a file of our family tree and it seems to run out on the Barry name in Ireland with Garrett Barry.  He married Jane Looney c1860 who was the daughter of Jeremiah Looney and Elizabeth Kennelly…and that’s as far back as I can see.

If anyone can help with any further information and extended family ancestry I’d be very grateful.

Did you find records of Garrett & Jane's marriage and baptisms of Garrett and/or Jane?
Were all children of Garrett & Jane born in Lancashire? Have you seen birth certificates of any of them? Have you found their baptisms?

Cowban

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 October 22 21:20 BST (UK) »
Looney is not uncommon on The Isle of Man.

LOONEY, CONTRACTED FROM O'Luinigh, 'Luinigh's descendant,' (luitineach, armed.')

Gillacrist O'LUINIGH, Lord of Cinel Moen,' A.D. 1090*
    The O'LOONEYS were chiefs of Mulntir Loney, in Tyrone.

Compare (Irish) O'LOONEY, LOONEY.

M'LAWNEY [1504], LOWNYE [1540], LOWENY [1602], LOWNIE [1623], LEWNEY [1626], LOONEY [1644], LONEY [1681].

Noted in the parishes of Jurby (vc), Marown, Lezayre, Malew, Santon, Onchan, Lonan (c), elsewhere (u).

Taken from "Manx Surnames", A.W. Moore 1895
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 October 22 21:45 BST (UK) »

Were all children of Garrett & Jane born in Lancashire? Have you found their baptisms?

Baptisms at St. Mary of the Assumption, Burnley.
https://lan-opc.org.uk/Burnley/Burnley/stmary/index.html
Father's name Geraldus, the Latin form of Gerald. Various transcriptions of mother's surname including Lanney and Ladney.
First child baptised at the church was Maurice Gerald 1861. Godfather Patrick Barry.
A Catherine Barrey was godmother for Jeremy Barry 1865.
Also, baptisms of children of Garrett's 2nd marriage to Ann Doyle. A Patrick Barry was godfather of Ann Barry 1876.

Some children of Patrick Barry & Mary (Guilfoyle/Guilfoy) baptised at St. Mary included:
Gerald 1869
John Robert 1871, godfather Gerald Barry

Marriages at St. Mary of the Assumption, Burnley:

1873 Gerald Barry & Ann Doyle; groom's father Gerald Barry; witness Patrick Barry
Note says Groom's first name Garrett on marriage registration.

1866 Patrick Barry & Mary Gilfoy; groom's parents Gerald & Helen Barry

1864 Patrick Barry & Ellen Redman; groom's father Gerald Barry

Another Garrett Barry married at St. Mary of the Assumption
1852 Garret Barry & Bridget Gibbons; groom's parents Richard & Nanny*
(There was another Gibbons wedding on the same day)
*Nanny/Nancy may be a variant of Ann.

That Garrett & Bridget Barry may have been living at Shed Street, Burnley on 1861 census. Surname transcribed Berry on Family Search. Garrett's birth info on census was Ireland 1834. A Garrett Barry of an appropriate age died 1868.

Other Barry couples who had children baptised at St. Mary of the Assumption and who may have been related to either Garrett Barry (or to both of them):
Maurice Barry & Jane/Joan/Joanna (GLENNY). Their daughter Lucinda (Lucy?) was baptised 1869. A note says that father's name had Garrett written above it.
John Barry & Ann (BURKE) had several children baptised there including Thomas 1873 (godparents Garrett Barry, Bridget Barry) and Gerald 1877. John & Ann married 1869. John's parents were Richard & Ann, so he was possibly a brother of the Garrett Barry who married Bridget Gibbons in 1852.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 October 22 22:54 BST (UK) »

My GG Grandfather was Garrett Barry born Tralee 1834. He came to Burnley Lancashire as a soldier where he spent the most of his life. He died in 1894. He was married to Jane Looney who was born in Tralee in 1844.

Garrett was buried in Burnley Cemetery. Grave 38. Hilda and Anne Barry in same grave. Anne died 1908 age 54.
Jane (died 1873 age 29) was buried in grave 37 with Eliza (5), Jane (11), Garrett (1 month) and Maurice Gerald (20).
Bridget Barry (died 1884 age 61) was in grave 35 with 2 women with surname Gibbons. (A Bridget Gibbons married a Garrett Barry in 1852.)
A Patrick Barry was in grave 8814.
Mary Barry (d. 1922 age 84) in grave 8815.
Some other Barry burials including stillborn babies in public graves.
https://lan-opc.org.uk/Burnley/Burnley/cemetery/index.html
Cowban

Offline Barryjp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 October 22 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maiden Stone for all this information.

Jeremy Barry christened in 1865 was actually Jeremiah Barry, born 11/6/1865 and was my Great Grandfather.  It is really interesting to see the recurrence of various names throughout this, such as Garrett/Gerald and Maurice.  My Grandfather was also called Maurice Barry and my father Richard Gerald Barry, known as Gerald or Gerry.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 October 22 20:51 BST (UK) »

Some other Barry burials including stillborn babies in public graves.
https://lan-opc.org.uk/Burnley/Burnley/cemetery/index.html

Including a stillborn son of G. Barry 25th Feb. 1872, abode Clifton St. Grave 8669. Public Grave.
Clifton St.  was residence of Jane when she died a year later.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 October 22 21:04 BST (UK) »

It is really interesting to see the recurrence of various names throughout this, such as Garrett/Gerald and Maurice. 

Another Barry wedding at St. Mary of the Assumption 31st Oct. 1863
Michael Derby & Elizabeth Barry; father John Barry; witnesses Garret Barry & Jane Barry

Cowban