Author Topic: Seeking Thomas Roberts Davies of Newmarket, Canada West  (Read 3971 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking Thomas Roberts Davies of Newmarket, Canada West
« on: Saturday 04 April 09 19:20 BST (UK) »
My 2xgreat Grandmother's sister Agnes Sophia Watts married a Thomas Roberts Davies of Newmarket Canada West in Wokingham Berkshire England Mar quarter 1855, Agnes was born 8th Mar 1836 in Wokingham.  I am trying to piece together who was Thomas Roberts Davies?  I have searched for his birth in England so though I would resort to finding him from Agnes' gravestone which mentions that she first married Thomas Roberts Davies 'of Newmarket, Canada West'.  Can anyone help me locate him?  I know its a long shot!
regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Thomas Roberts Davies of Newmarket, Canada West
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
I take it that you haven't picked up the marriage details yet, as no parents were mentioned? You'll need to pick that one up...
 Newmarket was in the York county area...don't see it represented in 1851, so census info may not exist ? His birth was before registration
However I do see on the genealogy index on "A" there is a "Thomas Robert Davies"  if someone wants to check that out
J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 April 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
You could try looking under East Gwillimbury.  My mil house which was built c1839 is situated in Newmarket now, but was in East Gwillumbury back then.

Could his name have been Davis?  Davis was a prominent name in Newmarket.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 09 03:36 BST (UK) »
Have you found the couple on the 1861, etc? as Karen has a point...what was their surname down as in the censuses...religion??
But still also think picking up that marriage cert would be the way to start out to see what he has down for his parents...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 09 03:47 BST (UK) »
To whom was she married the second marriage? (ie: her surname on tombstone you mentioned)
There's this...Marriage March quarter 1867  but only one fellow on page...
DAVIS, Agnes Sophia / Westbury S.    vol. 6a  p.302

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 09 04:21 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 Census, there was a Thomas Davies living in Vaughan Township, which is south of Newmarket. The area that Karen mentioned is between Newmarket (of today) and Vaughan. Newmarket became a village in 1857, so wouldn't be mentioned on the census under that name. This Thomas was born in Ireland, but seems the most likely candidate for your Thomas.

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SplitView.jsp?id=25391

Historic Newmarket
http://www.newmarket.ca/userfiles/HTML/nts_1_2733_1.html

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 09 06:18 BST (UK) »
If this Thomas Roberts Davies died in Ontario before 1867 when Agnes remarried in England then there won't be a registration at Ancestry as their database covers 1869 - 1934.

I agree with J.J. If we knew how old he was at the time of his marriage, what his occupation was and his father's name we would have a better chance of finding something about him.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 09 08:22 BST (UK) »
I dont know if he died in Canada, but its rather strange is wife was buried in Wokingham - Agnes Sophia Davies nee Watts.  Her gravestone mentions both her husbands, but as the last husband is illegible, I dont know his name all I have is this Marriage March quarter 1867  but only one fellow on page...
DAVIS, Agnes Sophia / Westbury S.    vol. 6a  p.302
Westbury is in Gloucestshire.

I dont believe either husband was buried with his wife Agnes.  So I am hunting the death of Thomas Roberts Davies sometime between 1855-1867.
Thanks for you help.
regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 April 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
well, best to hunt down the marriage, then the death, is all, if you want to start with what you know...
and we'll gladly find more if we can...Not a lot of dough to fork out to start us all off! J.J.

(Plus for all that you know so far... he may be "Thomas Robert Davis")

There are 4 * u.k. deaths in that time period...but parents are a lot more likely to be listed on marriages than on deaths
June Quarter 1855 Davies, Thomas Roberts    Hay vol.11b   p.112
Dec Quarter 1858 Davies, Thomas Robert  St Saviour  vol.1d   p.32
June Quarter 1859  Davies, Thomas Roberts   Hay    vol.11b   p.129
Dec Quarter 1863  Davies, Thomas Robert  Machynlleth    vol. 11b   p.135

*That is if the person reporting knew a middle name...