Author Topic: LANGHOLM M.I. ~ CEMETERIES  (Read 9600 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
LANGHOLM M.I. ~ CEMETERIES
« on: Sunday 05 April 09 01:31 BST (UK) »
This area is new to me for research...so I have a few questions.

Are there any published M.I. for Langholm?
How many Cemeteries are there in Langholm?

I am seeking WALDIE burials etc.

Thanks in advance for reading and any suggestions.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: LANGHOLM M.I. ~ CEMETERIES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 09 04:49 BST (UK) »
There appears to be two cemeteries in Langholm:  Langholm Old and Wauchope Churchyard.  I checked the Dumfries & Galloway Family History Society's website who have transcribed various memorial inscriptions in the county but, unfortunately, not the above.
However, the Dunedin branch of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists (www.genealogydunedin.co.nz) have transcribed the MI's of these cemeteries.  Perhaps it might be worth posting on the New Zealand board asking for a look-up.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dinarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 April 09 07:48 BST (UK) »
You could also try this website from The Langholm Archive Group - www.langholmarchivecentre.org.uk

Do you by any chance have Waldie connections in Roxburghshire?

Diane
Wigtownshire:- MCKIE/RANKIN(E)/MCCRACKEN/AULD/COSH/JACKSON
Dumfriesshire:- GRAHAM/CLOW(E)/SANDERS/THOMLINSON/GLOVER

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Dinarina..Oh Yes...
My WALDIE line is all concentrated in Roxburgh,back to 1735.
Very extensive.How can I help you.

The Langholm site you sent,well I combed it with a fine tooth comb and found several fine photos of interest.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
Isles...Thank you for the down-under contact...Have just sent off a querie to see how they respond to email questions.
Thanks again...Happy hunting to you.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 09 04:53 BST (UK) »
REIVER....[/u]Thank you for your info..most appreciated.
Interesting that Adam was buried in Jerusalem,I did not know that.
Also I did print out the ref. that you ref to..
When I find a new site with poss info ..I turn it inside out to read all I can.
Then run with my plastic to ScotsPeople...he he .
Again ..many thanks. :)

Offline amcgauchie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
Re Waldie

I am researching the McGauchie family of Dumfries.  Diana McGauchie married John Crosbie in 1874.  Sadly they were divorced, John citing Diana's adultery.  As she was also known by the name Waldie I wonder if he was 'the other party'.  She had a very sad life after her divorce, having too many children with no father. and died in 1893 in Calashiels of childbed fever.  I hope to find out more about the divorce when I visit Edinburgh in the summer.  Meanwhile does she get a mention in any of your research?

Andrea Lee (nee McGacuhie)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 April 09 01:44 BST (UK) »
I have gone through my material and find nothing at this point to connect to your Diana to a Waldie,sorry...good luck in Edinburgh.

Offline amcgauchie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 April 09 04:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking.  If I find anything interesting I will post it.  It is unusual for a divorce back in those days, especially as they were catholic

Andrea Lee