Author Topic: Watsons of Elgin  (Read 1648 times)

Offline joy58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watsons of Elgin
« on: Sunday 05 April 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
I have a very sorry tale of my great grandmother and her sister who between them in the 1860s and 70s had 9 or 10 illegitimate children and lived desperately poor lives. (I have pages from the Poor Registers about them).

My great grand aunt, Isabella Watson very kindly named the fathers of her 3 living children but unfortunately my great-grandmother, Margaret Watson only gave the name of one of the fathers - an Alexander Younie who was the 'reputed' father of Alexandrina Watson, b1873.

Is there anywhere I haven't thought of where the fathers' names may have been written? I'm particularly keen to know the father of my grandmother, Nellie Kennedy Watson, b 1883. On one census she is entered as Nellie Murray Watson but I have no idea why.

There are also her siblings, John Watson b 1875 and Margaret Watson by 1878. All the children were born in Elgin.

Many thanks
Joy

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watsons of Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,from my experience I've found the poor relief application forms very revealing. Is there no mention of the childrens fathers there?  The other possible sources of information are the obvious ones,marriage & death certificates.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.