Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 February 05 01:11 GMT (UK) »
I would do as the others have said.  Take the research and keep it separate for a rainy day.  You can always go through it with a fine tooth comb and see the connections. 

I have a load of stuff from a relative- pictures, certificates and family stories.  I have put his data to the side and am slowly going over it all.  There is so much to savor and enjoy.

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline sheddyg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 February 05 23:01 GMT (UK) »
My very first ever attempt at my family history(I knew only my mother`s name) led me straight to a researcher who`s work of many years had been meticulously recorded and took me back nine generations! hows that for beginners luck!

Every now and again I randomly google a name and many times the result has been surprising. My best find was five photo albums most thoughtfully donated to Manchester County Record Office by a relative of someone who married into my family, containing some named photographs which I have had a brilliant time researching. They include my ggrandparents, their siblings, their parents and grandparents including my 4xggrandfather was born in 1812! as well as a few cousins. The photos date from the 1860`s to the 1890`s 

I too flit around, and I sometimes feel that certain ancestors definately want to be found! (and some do not!)
Do you remember that good old fashioned party game `pin the tail on the donkey`? well it feels a bit like I`m playing that sometimes...
TOLLIT,middx,oxon BRUNNER, oxford,birmingham
STEER,middx,warcs,monmouth,CHAMBERLAIN,middx,NETTLEFOLD
COOPER,leics, bristol,  GOODRICH,leics
MILLS, bucks, WIGGINTON,eton
BISHOPdevon,aus,HAMBLY,cornwall, 
HARGREAVES,irelandto nz & aus, BOWMAN,ireland to nz & aus
BIDDLECOMBE Hants              
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ROSS Scotland

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 February 05 05:11 GMT (UK) »
I got frustrated with a name and Googled it - leading to the discovery of my husband's third cousin!  She was also doing family research.  She's in Spain, I'm in the Yukon but we have compared our research - totally different styles and aims but through doing it we found another generation of our family.  Also her relatives (not my husbands) know where the bodies are buried in the cemetary! Both theirs and ours!  So looking at other peoples research can be a good thing.  On the down side I have before a Family Tree someone sent me and I know my family should fit in it somewhere but I can't for the life of me do it or explain where he got his information from - Frustration again!

Frances
PS I also like to flit from branch to branch on my tree - thinking that in time the dried out branch will recover and someone somewhere will have published more information for it. 8)
FB

Offline familysearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 February 05 17:39 GMT (UK) »
in my other more boring work life i am an auditor - yes alright i've heard nearly all the jokes.

When we need to place reliance on someone elses work we test it - redo some of their work to see if we get the same results.

if we are satisfied with the results of our tests then we place reliance on it.

this seems a reasonable compromise to me - but i would still be inclined to leave the other tree seperate and refer to it.

We have a similar situation - my other half is descended from a Wedgewood and this has been researched thouroughly (all the links back to Odin are rather suspicious), but the more relatively modern stuff appears reasonable.   I have Lewis's on my mothers side and likewise that family tree has been extensively researched - although not 27,000 entries by any stretch!!!!

I still find myself trying to find folk on ancestry or in freebmd however - just for the satisfaction of seeing it there!

happy searching

Sue
Geen - Glamorgan/Devon/Birmingham
Lewis - Glamorgan/Monmouthshire
Cutter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Hunter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Siveter/Siviter - Birmingham

Census infromation is  Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 February 05 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I would take the info but only move it accross to your tree when you have checked it yourself....  I got loads of info like that from a 5th cousin I met on the net but have only transferred across what I can verify to my own satisfaction.... how on earth he got from 1780 back to 1620 is quite beyond me so I keep it separate....

Possum_pie
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Paul E

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I should perhaps add a note here and say that the other tree comes with all reference sources!

I think this begs a car-sticker, Jill -

My Other Tree's Much Better Referenced

::) ::) ::) ::)

Paul

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Too right Paul - and maybe a T shirt as well!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk