Author Topic: Grave Stones  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Stones
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 February 05 19:15 GMT (UK) »
EXCELLENT Pam.  Thanks,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 February 05 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Someone (on Rootschat?) said he took along a mirror on a sunny day to angle the light onto the stone...
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 February 05 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Can't remember where I read it.  But someone suggested using shaving foam as an aid to reading M.I's

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 February 05 22:09 GMT (UK) »
When i take photo's of headstones i always choose a bright day.If  the insription on the stone is clear but might not be on the photo because it's facing the wrong way. After i have downloaded it. I just alter the contast to bring the  inscripion up. Somtime's the photo looks better than the stone ;D
If i know the inscription wont show up well i just copy it and make the photo small. No piont in taking photo's of headstones  without a inscriptions. I have never been round a church graveyard. so i dont have the problem of trying to read old stones,thank goodness , because i dont think i could ???

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Can't remember where I read it.  But someone suggested using shaving foam as an aid to reading M.I's
I'm not sure that is a very good idea. The oils and so on are bound to soak in and stay quite while and the temporary look would be dreadful >:(
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 08:34 GMT (UK) »
I've read on several sites that shaving foam should be completely avoided, as the chemicals in it attack the surface of the stone. Although it makes it easier for you to read it, a couple of years down the line it will most likely be unreadable.

Chalk dust is relatively harmless, but looks a bit messy once you've finished. Even if you wash the stone down when you've finished, you're still left with a mess on the ground around.

Rubbing is supposed to be one of the better methods, but you need a fair amount of paper, especially if you're doing a few stones in a single graveyard.

I did find a good site a while ago with advantages and disadvantages of usual methods. Can'T find the link just now, so I'll have a search and update when I find it.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 10:36 GMT (UK) »
The tip I was given by somebody encouraging me to read the local MIs for the FHS was to take a scrubbing brush and soapy water. The act of slightly cleaning the area by the inscription leaves the dirt in the inscription, increasing its legibility. The type of stone used contributes also. There are some stones less than 100 years old that are totally unreadable and some clearly visible 300 years on.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 16:48 GMT (UK) »
HI Everyone,
Last Saturday I persuaded my other half to take me to the Graveyard where I thought (optimistically) I would find some of my ancestors graves.  I was so dismayed, only the newer graves were legible, the others were so badly worn away they were totally obscured.  I just hadn't realised (this was my first attempt) how difficult it would be.
I was also ill equipped, should have taken some paper for rubbings, may just have been able to discern something, so have been following the advice given here, of the gravestones that I was able to read I quickly realised that I had no idea what I should be recording and in what format - any ideas? is there a prescribed or preferred method?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 16:58 GMT (UK) »
There is no prescribed format for recording the details - sometimes you will see abbreviations ILMO (in loving memory of) or STTMO (sacred to the memory of) - otherwise the details are recorded verbatim together with the shape of the monument, for which standard terminologies apply. I have a list somewhere of these and will post if anyone thinks it of value.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell