Author Topic: Help with a marriage  (Read 2917 times)

Offline ajay04

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a marriage
« on: Monday 06 April 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a baptism record 13 Feb 1831 St. Peter, Derby for Jones Street Young (My husbands g g grandfather)

The parents are listed as John Young, Jane

I would like to find their marriage but do not know where to look.

Is there anywhere online as I live in Northampton.
I'm a member of ancestry

Thanks in advance

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found this on the IGI (www.familysearch.org):

Marriages:

John Young   14 Jun 1830   Darley Dale, Derby

spouse:  Jane Binns

An extracted record, so should be accurate.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Flint & Ann Slack's wedding day in 1866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ajay

The marriage suggested by Nanny Jan may be the correct one, but there are a few things I'd look for first...

a) What are the approx dates of birth of John & Jane's children? Is Jones the youngest? I would then commence looking for marriages within a couple of years before the youngest known - widening the search if needs be.

b) According to later censuses, where was John's wife Jane born? I would start by looking for a marriage in the same parish.

c) Street as a middle name may well come from a maternal surname, possibly his mother's or one of his grandmothers'. I'd take this as a strong indicator if I found a possible marriage between a John Young and Jane Street. Having said that of course, Jones is an unusual first name, so the same could apply to that.

d) You are likely to find more than one marriage between a John Young and a Jane within the appropriate area/period. The hard work starts when you have to look into each one, and try to disprove that it was yours (assuming you can't find definite proof that one of them was), by finding them on later censuses, or finding a death of one of them, or finding large incosistencies with the age of your couple etc etc
Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline ajay04

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 09 16:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies :)

We believe Jones to be the only child. Street is definitely a family name as was used in several future generations

We are not sure about John and Jane in the census's. In 1941 Jones Street (age 9) has moved to Wales and is residing with The Jones family. No mention of his parents.

We know the Jones Street in Wales is correct and the later family came from Abergavenny. My husbands grandfather from Abergavenny bears the name Henry Jones Street Young and a sister was named Jane Street Young.