Author Topic: ggd of Mary Ann Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 18881 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: ggd of Mary Ann Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #135 on: Monday 13 April 09 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

For anyone who has been hunting for a marriage for John (Ellington) Smith's parents pre 1837, I have even tried "strays" from various boards,  and not found any SMITH=ELLINGTON clues on those searches.  There is a great deal of "strays" on the following link and for the chatter who did that research I salute you too.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,234427.0.html

Cheers,  MA.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline deryckjohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Monday 13 April 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Again, this could also be red herring type clue, but it is 1841, Thomas Wilkinson aged 20 at Dutton Class: HO107; Piece 92; Book: 11; Civil Parish: Great Budworth; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 7; Page: 8; Line: 4; GSU roll: 241233.

I have not ever found the "key" to linking Thomas Wilkinson to Mary Ann HUNT, just that my Dad's and two of his sisters have pencilled his name and bracketted it with comment "Hunt's Lock" 1860 and there is pencilled line to Ralph Hartley on different scribble, (prob my aunty's scribble). 

I have no idea of how my Dad and siblings got that info, and I had always presumed it was only "oral" history, and they are long gone, AND their scribbles could have been made anytime between say 1950 and 1984, but most likely in 1971-1974, when I remember them spending many weekends trying to find their living relatives in Sydney NSW.  I have raised the topic (Ralph and/or Sarah HARTLEY) with my cousins, but names like "Ralph" and "Sarah" do not appear in any generations of the SMITH=HUNT tree, and they did name eight of their ten NSW born children, so if there was a naming pattern, perhaps those two names ought to have cropped up at some stage!

[/b]

Cheers,  MA

I had a look at Ann & Thomas Wilkinson, but I can't see the connection to Hunt. I found Ann Wilkinson, born Aston in 1851 who seems to match the 1841 reference. Thomas WIlkinson is not very obvious after 1841, have you any more references for Thomas and Ann Wilkinson or her Hunt marriage.

Deryck

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

As I had not ever found "my" Mary Ann Hunt on any UK census, nor "my" John (Ellington) Smith, so I have considered possibilities, and drawn upon my own oral history from my late Dad, and his siblings.  My cousins have checked their own records, and shared information and photos and recollections with me.  We have contacted many archive offices, emailed others, searched all the usual haunts, online or in person, read newspapers online from the UK, NZ, and Australia, spoken with family members who are not as interested in family history as we are, and done our best.  The collections of bdm certs continue to grow, and so do the numbers of descendants of this couple, John and Mary Smith.

It seems to me that John and Mary Smith don't want to be found!  I know my NSW cousins are very appreciative of all the help everyone has given me in this scavenger hunt.  The gift of time is PRICELESS, and is never to be thought of as worthless.  Your gifts of your time are appreciated by us.   And I know that we will one day find the key to discover just a little more about Great Grandfather and Great Granny Smith.

Cheers from MA, one of the many great grandchildren of John and Mary Smith
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi MA,

Probably they aren't ready to pop up yet ...... 

I have had two in my tree that have been searched and searched for many years, and only in the last half year, they have decided to pop up, and sadly the person who started the tree over 30 years ago before computers became more accessible for resources,  is not here to share the excitment and would have been more excited to know that I have found more additional information on the family which is going to be part of my hunt.

Dare I say it, most of my Scottish line have Smith as their middle name, so did my mum ;D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi,

My late Dad and several of his siblings tried to figure out the mysteries around their Granny Smith decades ago.  And Dad's and those several siblings shadows have not been around since late 1980's and 1990's ie last century, but I know they would be proud of my efforts, and of my cousins efforts too.   

Cheers,  MA

ADD  John Ellington Smith is listed on the 1903 roll as a wood carter in the seat of Parramatta and polling place of Wetherill Park, which abutts Prospect Reservoir.  And birth registrations for 9 of his 10 children and several grandchildren show they lived in that general area for several decades. 
The farm "La Retreat" is shown as the address for a George Smith, and the 1903 Electoral Roll shows him (George Smith) residing in the seat of Parramatta and polling place of Smithfield, which would be a neighbouring polling place to John Ellington Smith's Wetherill Park. 
I have initiated a new thread  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,375363.0.html and if anyone wants to share information about John Ellington Smith, (my Dad's grandfather) I can assure you that not just me, but my cousins welcome contact. 
We have family photos to share, and of course the usual skeltons in the closet, and a stack of bdm certificates and details and oral histories to share too. 

Cheers,  MA.

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:14 BST (UK) »

Here you are, this weeks Scavenger Hunt.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,375143.0.html

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

As usual this Hunt will remain open for any further information which may come in.

Barbara
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

copyright_editor

« Reply #141 on: Friday 24 April 09 13:17 BST (UK) »

I had a look at Ann & Thomas Wilkinson, but I can't see the connection to Hunt. I found Ann Wilkinson, born Aston in 1851 who seems to match the 1841 reference. Thomas WIlkinson is not very obvious after 1841, have you any more references for Thomas and Ann Wilkinson or her Hunt marriage.

Deryck

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Saturday 25 April 09 02:45 BST (UK) »

Just to let you know, MA is on holidays for a week so wont be able to answer any queries.

I'm sure she'll catch up with everyone when she gets back.

Barbara
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton