Author Topic: barstardy agreement  (Read 996 times)

Offline freebee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
barstardy agreement
« on: Tuesday 07 April 09 12:46 BST (UK) »
for a child born out of wedlock in wath 1917 and adopted out 1919 at Sheffield would there usually be a court order or agreement made between the mother of the child and the father of the child for financial support. If so were would I find such an agreement.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: barstardy agreement
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 14:08 BST (UK) »
Not necessarily any agreement.
Could be a private agreement, in which case records would be with the legal firm who dealt with it.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline freebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 09 01:22 BST (UK) »
many thanks pauline, I have the original adoption certificate drawn up on thick paper with a watermark, written on with black and red ink but there is no name or address of the lawyer who must have done this. both the parent and the adoptee addresses are given as sheffield, although I now know one was living in tinsley and one in wath do you think the lawyers would have kept a copy. It was also 1919 just as war finished so there probably would not have been many lawyers around then. It is a big ask but would you know if somebody has a list of the lawyers in sheffield 1919.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
So it would be a private adoption...
There should be trade directories for sheffield 1919 and they probably appear in something like an early "Yellow pages".
Does your local library have Ancestry access, or are you local to sheffield archives?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline freebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 09 23:43 BST (UK) »
many thanks pauline, I will look on ancestry.com, I live in australia so can't visit any organisations. thankyou for your help.