Author Topic: Margaret Robb / Dalbeths Girl School  (Read 15391 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Robb / Dalbeths Girl School
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 April 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lil

Been giving your problem a little bit more thought today.

From what you have said, you are likely to be trying to research a potential genetic illness that may be linked to your father's biological family. Once you have a potential family for mother Margaret, you are likely to have to view a number of death certificates to try and establish a link to what you are trying to find out.

In the period that you are researching, this can be an expensive and long exercise if you have to order a number of possible certificates. Order fee is currently £10 and wait time due to current demand is running at anywhere between 4-6 weeks from what I understand.

You appear to be based in Scotland (I think from your recent visit to Glasgow). There are a number of ways that you can view a large number of BMD certificates outside the on-line cut off for images on Scotlands People. Depending on which is closer to you, you could visit either New Register House in Edinburgh or Park Circus in Glasgow. They have special facilities to view and let you transcribe details from multiple certificates on any one visit. The other post I found interesting from Jim the other day which covers other options for doing the same thing is here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369601.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 April 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
It will be even harder to trace if the potential genetic illness came from the paternal side of the family.

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 April 09 14:58 BST (UK) »
More great advise as always Monica.

Personally I would opt for the SP Centre in Edinburgh as its £10 for the full day compared to £14 for Park Circus (So thats £4 towards the train fare), Its directly across the road from Waverly Station so easier to get to, and most of the records are there so they will get you any which are hard to read on the screen.
They also run a free 2 hour taster sessions throughout the day for anyone who hasn't been before to assist in how and what you can find.

Although there are plenty of seats I would advise phoning and booking a seat in advance. I've been several times over the past month and found the staff very helpful.

Oh and last point............. There's also a cafe for that well earned cuppa coffee.

More details can be found at - http://scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 April 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Another line of enquiry could be St Margarets Adoption Society in Glasgow.
They won't have handled your fathers adoption as they didn't come into being until the 1950's however they may be able to give you some good advise of what records may still exist from the adoption and how to trace it.

http://www.stmargaretsadoption.org.uk/

Gerry

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 April 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
You're right Sancti, hadn't thought of the paternal side for young William  :'(

That's great additional info Gerry  :) Hopefully of one of these centres will be close to you Lil.

Monica

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 April 09 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lil,

I was at the SP Centre in Edinburgh today and your query was buzzing in my head.
I won't give out all details here as this is both a personel matter and a delicate one, but i hope you don't mind if i share a couple of minor details to get Sancti and monica's views on it.

1st - Looking at your fathers register of birth I would say that its definatly been signed by his mother as the shape of the letters epecially the M is different from the registrars.
Also the birth was recorded by theassistant  registrar but the comment regards his adoption has been added at the side by the registrar which could be important.

2nd - The record which I agree with Sancti looks possible for his mother Margaret Joseph Robb is for a Margaret josaphine Robb and the father this Margarets father is called William.

I will PM you the full details of that record. I looked for other children from the same parents but couldn't see any.

Whats your views Monica & Sancti?

1st Royals

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 April 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
You're a good man Gerry  :)

Re young William's birth cert, I agree that it was probably mother Margaret that reported the birth. Births always have to be reported by someone to the Registrar, regardless of their relationship to the child (as do deaths) and the certificate will indicate who reported the death in whatever capacity or relationship to the child.

That 1927 birth entry looks a promising possibility for mother Margaret, also from what you have said, the names given to baby William would make sense including the middle name.

Monica 

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 April 09 23:16 BST (UK) »
Well done Gerry.

I think the answer to it all will lie in any admission records for Dalbeth which may be held by the Catholic authorities. It should give her home address before entering into Dalbeth. I did note in a bit of history of the Dalbeth Magdalene Laundry that all denominations were admitted and not just RC's.

It's all rather sad but probably a sign of the times that the baby was put up for adoption. I would have thought that there was a closer hospital than Stobhill for the birth and maybe there is a clue in the choice of hospital.

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 April 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Yeah, could be that it was far enough away to distance the mother from the baby's after birth.
Or maybe the Nun's works there as nurses.

1st Royals