Author Topic: James St Alva  (Read 4722 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James St Alva
« on: Tuesday 07 April 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Wonder if anyone is going to Alva for the Easter week-end.
Would really appreciate photo's of 32/34/36 James St.
Family homes for 4 generations.
Thank you patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James St Alva
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 09 18:06 BST (UK) »
I will pop along at the weekend and take some snaps. Do you want to send me your private email address, to send them to

How long ago since your relatives lived there

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
ooooh...someone going to alva with a camera.....  any chance of popping by the cemetery and looking for Denholm gravestones?

Thanks

Tom
census information is crown copyright
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
durham - moon, bowman, waters
kent - millgate, hatcher, cox, alaby, gibbs, goodbourne, hollams
lancashire - dears, bradborn, matthews, burke
london - mears
northumberland - curry, grey
yorkshire - bergan, ackney, irwin, sclaes, metcalf, crosby
caithness - stewart, waters, gunn, cormack, horne
refrewshire - houston, dow
hamburg germany - dears ( deircs)

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 09 21:25 BST (UK) »
What years are Denholms buried, modern or old

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much brimarge - much appreciated, never thought to take photo's before coming to Australia.
Aunt Chris, my great aunt, lived in James St all her life, in 1891 she is at 36, in 1901 at 32, at both adds with her grandmother Isabella McKinnon nee Cramb.  My g/grandmother was Isabella Robertson and I have her family living at 36 in 1871.
I last visited in 1957 prior to coming to Oz, Aunt Chris died in 1971 and Uncle Jim in 1974.
the Hall's, Allan's, McKinnon's and Robertson's have all one way or another lived in James St.
If you do get time at the cemetery
John Robertson died 1877 Alva.  His wife Isabella Cramb, she remarried Peter McKinnon and died 1905 Alva.
My g/gran Isabella Robertson married Thomas Hall she died 1890 Alva.  In other words any family gravestones would be appreciated.
Not thinking to clearly this morning have a rotten head cold.
 :'(
Thanks so much..patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 09 09:52 BST (UK) »
You don't say what the surname is of your Aunt Chris and Uncle Jim. I'm going to the cemetery this afternoon but I understand that the records pre 1918 were lost in a fire, so for early dates it will be a question of just looking around

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 09 17:20 BST (UK) »
I have been to James St today and I'm afraid that you will not know it. It has been recontructed with flats/house where 32/34/36 used to be.

I also visited Alva cemetery and had mixed fortune, I have unearthed some records but could not find headstones, I will go back next week to double check with the warden that I have the correct location. Some graves never had headstones, some have been removed, some are unreadable.

The following people are buried in plot F/24 A & B, the plot was bought by McKinnons for £2-1-0 (old money) for a double plot (1 Guinea for a single, so a double saved you a shilling) and they were living at Queen St, Alva. Buried in in these graves are

21/7/1971 Christine Allan (85) 2 Cochrane St, Alva
13/12/1974 James Allan (87) 58 Johnston St, Alva
4 people of unknown names buried 1874/1879/1894/1912
Ashes of Elizabeth Watt Hunter (77) died 5/10/1996 in USA, ashes interred 5/6/1997 her address 28500, St Croix-TR, Shafer, Minnisoto, USA

Let me have your home email address and I will send the photos I took of James St and the Cemetery

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 09 17:25 BST (UK) »
To TommyToronto

I have info on Denholms but suggest that you start a new topic "Denholm, Alva" for example so that other interested persons can also view the info, I find photos easier to send via your private email address.

Just noticed that your email address is on your profile

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 07:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much brimarg - yes they were all my relatives, Christine and James Allan were my great aunt and uncle, Elizabeth Hunter was their daughter and am in touch with her daughter in the States, the other photo of Thomas Allan and Norah Lark was also their son and have passed on the photo to his son who lives here in Queensland.  Thank you once again..Patvp