Author Topic: Lookup Please 1841 Llanwrtyd  (Read 6903 times)

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lookup Please 1841 Llanwrtyd
« on: Wednesday 08 April 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wondered if SKS could lookup the following family.  Sorry all I know is that
parents David and Mary Davies.
There was a baptism for 1825 for their son Thomas and they were living
at that time at a place called Henbant.
Just wondered if the family and siblings were around there in 1841 as I can't find them
anywhere else!

Thanks

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Please 1841 Llanwrtyd
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Only Thomas Davies of around the right age in Llanwrtyd (which Ancestry have as Llanwryd in 1841  ::) )

Tyrithel(?), Hamlet of Llechweddor HO107/1365/23 folio 2 3 page 3
David Davies 50 shoemaker
Mary 50
Anne 20
Thomas 15
Elizabeth 15
Evan 11
/
Catharine 8
//
 Mary 1
all born in county except Mary senior

possible baptisms in IGI batch C089681 Gelynos Presbyterian, Llanwrtyrd for
Evan bp 1/8/1830 son of David Davies & Mary Richard
Catherine bp 18/5/1833 same parents

But there is another couple of David Davies & Mary Bevan having children around the time in the same chapel. They have a Thomas bp 30/5/1822 and a Margaret in 1833. Don't think the IGI batch for the parish church is up to much - only 3 Davies baptisms in over 80 years  ???

same family in 1851?
Llanwrtyd Village HO107/2470 folio 453 pg 8
David Davies head widower 60 master shoemaker b. Llangammarch
Evan son 20 journeyman shoemaker
Catherine dau 17 housekeeper
Mary Price grand dau 11
all born Llanwrtyd except where stated
Mary being Price probably explains why she was a separate household in 1841
Catherine's age of 17 ties in with the May birth and baptism date on the IGI. 1841 census was in June so she would have been 8, 1851 was in April so she would have been 17.
But I may be clutching at straws.

:-\

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your trouble.  It all gets so confusing, doesn't it?

I'll have to look at my file and see if they tie up, there is a difference with the Bapt. having
been told Thomas was bapt. June, 1825, but I think the IGI isn't always correct.

Thanks again
 :)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
but the Thomas baptism I quoted was the one for the 'other' couple, not for this family. I'm only looking at extracted records anyway which should be ok. I wouldn't quote submitted ones.

Do you not have the marriage cert for your Thomas to compare father's name & occupation?

Why don't you try to get a copy of the baptism from the record office? It should give an occupation for David.
http://www.powys.gov.uk/index.php?id=3540&L=0

I can see a possible for the Thomas bp 1825 on the 1861 census in Merthyr Cynog, also a shoemaker and married to Mary, and a possible for the one bp 1822 in Bedwellty married to Margaret and a labourer.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Oh sorry, got confused there!

Thomas married 1843 and on the marriage certificate he put, residence Bronhelem, father David Davies, labourer.

Thomas was not at Bronhelem in 1841.  On Census returns he put place of birth as Llanddewi Brefi or Doethie Camddwr, but all parish records for Llanddewi Brefi have been exhausted and he wasn't found there.  He was buried at Llanddewi Abergewsyn, and died at Nantygraig 1900 aged 82. I am told that although he put place of birth Llanddewi Brefi it doesn't necessarily mean he was born in the town, just nearby within the parish.  But he lived at a place called Nantygraig which I believe is very near Soar y Myndd.  As I couldn't find him in Cardiganshire, I thought why was he buried at Llanddewi Abergewsyn?  His wife was buried where she came from in Pontrhydfendigaid, Strata Florida - so did Thomas go back to be buried near to where he came from.  I did ask the Archives office at Powys.  They checked 1813-1823 in Llandewi Abergwesyn, Llanfihangel Abergwesyn and Eglwys Oen Duw.  They said looking at a map the nearest parish in Breconshire to Llandewi Brefi is Llanwrtyd and they found a bapt. of a Thomas Davies son of David Davies and Mary Davies, 10.6.1825.  Father a labourer of Henbant.  Hence I thought, I would try and find them on the 1841 to hopefully help me in deciding if this was indeed his baptism and the right family.

I know the other possibility is that he wasn't baptised, but all his children were and his wife, and most in my research have been churchgoers.

Excuse me, I'm not too good with the areas, and I've been at a loss with this one for absolutely ages! I give up sometimes.  It's hard as I don't know for sure his mother's name, only his father is David Davies, labourer, Henbant in 1843.  Where Henbant is I don't know.  A farm/small holding somewhere.  With regards to names, I know they often called their children after their parents and themselves etc.  They named 2 children after the wife's parents, but whose named after Thomas's parents I don't know as one wasn't called David, after his father.
Kids - Anne, Cainor (wife's mother), Evans (wife's father), Elizabeth, Thomas,(father) William, Jane,(mother) John, Margaret

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
Well, obviously not the correct family as this Thomas is a shoemaker. Would have helped if you'd said he was a labourer on the marriage cert. Also, not very likely for the son of a labourer to be still with parents at 15. Rather more likely to be a farm servant by that time and therefore very hard to identify. No guarantee address on marriage cert is that of his parents' home if they are still alive.

Is it definitely Henbant? I can see Penbank . No Davies family though. I seem to remember that ag labs used to be employed for a year at time, so quite likely to have moved on by the 1841.

His family may have been non-conformist and not all those records are in the various county archives.

Sorry!