Author Topic: Still searching any help please??  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Still searching any help please??
« on: Wednesday 29 December 04 11:45 GMT (UK) »
 :)

GAGAN

Seeking any information or descendants of Grace  b.1872 Stafford England  and her sister Laura
 they were sent to Canada in 1885 from Stoke on Trent Workhouse.
1901 census for Ontario have Grace & her family living in Deseronto Town, Ontario
Grace married widower Augustus Gartland in 1894, he had a daughter age 13 (b.1888, d.1957) she married Michael Pluard)
children Mary L. age 3, Joseph age 1

In 1903 Grace gave birth to twin sons Jerrold & Jerome, the birth was registered by their aunt "Maggie" Gartland (nee Driscoll)
No further information has been traced.

Sister Laura Gagan, b.1876, Stafford England, had been put into domestic service in 1885, with Mr & Mrs Hayes, Marysville, Ontario, Laura was shown on the 1891 census still with Mrs Catherine Hayes (now a widow)
no trace of her on 1901 census so assume she may have
married?

Their brother Stephen, (my grandfather) married in 1894 to Mabel Grant, Ontario, they and their daughter Laura Maud, left Canada in 1900 and went to Scotland

Their surname had been changed from Geoghan to Gagan when sent to Canada.
Their parents were Stephen Geoghan & Louisa (nee Paddison)

Any information about Grace & Laura would be most appreciated, thank you
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Still searching any help please??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 05 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mars Barr,
Here are a couple of things that I hope you might find of some help:

GAGAN Marriages (from the Ontario Vital Statistics site):
"#5179-94 (Hastings Co): John Stephen GAGAN?, 20, farmer, Tyendinaga, Sidney, s/o John & Laura, married Mabel GRANT, 20, England, Sidney, d/o George & Mary, witn: John REID & Jennie FOLKS, both of Sidney, 8 Nov 1894 at Belleville."

Laura Gagan in 1901:
I think this might be your Laura in 1901.  On the Automated 1901 Canadian Census site, living in Ontario (Hastings East), there is listed a Lawis Gagan living with a family by the name of Lally.  Note that this information has been 'transcribed' from the original census.  On the site there is a link to the actual census.  If you look at the actual census image, coincidences appear:
Laura Gagan, age 25, born in England.  Year arrived in Canada 1886. 
Here's the link.  Have a look and see what you think:
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/index.html

Good luck,
~meg
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Message of Apology for Meg
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 05 12:09 GMT (UK) »
 :'(

Hi Meg,
Sorry for the long delay in answering you reply to my message asking for help (still searching any help please, placed in Dec) you replied  on Jan 5th and I have just found it, first of all I had a bit of a disaster with the computer, the daughter of my friend visited me, and I remarked that I was going to "clean up" the computer, get rid of unwanted rubbish etc, anyway, to cut a long story short, she offerd to help, knowing a bit more than I do about the technical side? she unfortunately deleted all the cookies for a start, I did not then realise what exactly cookies were, soon found out though when I could not get access to the various sites I had been on, including this one, did not realise the cookies held my log in and password details, so had to go through everything and try and find all the details again (amongst mountains of paper work, which I should have filed and did`nt!!) however, finally managed that and then could not remember and find the boards I had left messages on asking for help etc. then I finally did, nly for the computer to go beserk!! just got frozen and did all sorts of weird things, think the trouble has probably been caused by not shutting down correctly at the end of the day, was just switching off thinking that was ok, but have found out I was just causing problems!! have now managed o get straightened out again, and will not I hope, make the same mistakes again.

Anyway, I have just found your reply about my request concerning Laura Gagan, my g.father`s sister, she had been sent to Canada in 1885 from th workhouse in Stafford, first you gave me details about my g.father`s marriage, which I had already obtained, he had given his name as "John" Stephen Gagan, I have his birth cert, which he had obtained not long after he had left Canada, this proved of course that he did know his parents names and where he had been born, although the marriage document gave his parent as John & Laura, his father was in fact Stephen Geoghan & mother Louisa Paddison (sometimes certs give her as PaTTison, she could not read, so of course would not have known her surname had been incorrect.
My g.father had been sent on his arrival inCanada to a John Corrigan, and I can only assume he must have adopted his name, perhaps he had been kind to him? he was obviously moved away from him at a later date where he must have had unpleasant memories, he never spoke about the past or that he had been born in England, he was probably ashamed of having been in the workhouse, people were in those days.

As for Laura, no wonderI did not find her on the 1901 census, I had assumed then that she must have married, but if the one you found is her, then she was still unmarried may have done so later?) I wonder if the entry stating her to be the "daughter" is also incorrect, she had been in domestic service previously, so perhaps she was also in that position with the Lally family?
If it is indeed her, and all the details  certainly do fit, that is great because it gives me another lead to hopefully trace her. I notice also, that she was then in Hastings Ontario, my mother had been born there, so perhaps Laura had been in contact with her brother there?

Thanks for the information and also the site mentioned automated geneaology etc. I have had a look and found Laura, will go back and have another look around to see what I can find, I did not know about that site.
Hope you will forgive me for being so late in acknowledging your reply, I will in the future make a note of where I leave messages so that I can find the correct board again, I have a terrible memory, so have now noted various items in a notebook so that I don`t have so many problems again (hopefully!!!)
once again, thank you for your help, would it be too much, to ask you now, how I can find out if she married, where would there be info about that??

I can understand the errors being made in the transcriptions, we have similar problems here in our census, and unless we can obtain the originals, it can be almost impossible to find someone, I have had various instances of that which has taken ages to find someone, yet you know they must be there somewhere!!!
Maud
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 05 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

you have probably received more information but here are some leads

This could be the burial site of your Grace (Gagan) Gartland

GARTLAND Grace M. Piccadilly Frontenac Hinchinbrooke KG-2405-4
http://www.islandnet.com/cgi-bin/ms2/jveinot/search

here is someone else looking for Augustus Gartland

Augustus Gartland     Compact Disc #100     Pin #390502   
 Sex: M   

~~~~~~~~

Event(s):
 Birth:  15 Aug 1850  Place:   Tyendenaga Twp. Ontario,Canada 

~~~~~~~~

Parents:

~~~~~~~~

Marriage(s):
 Spouse:  Catherine Traynor     Disc #100     Pin #390441

Marriage:  3 May 1886  Place:  Centerville,Ontario,Canada 

~~~~~~~~

Notes and Sources:
 Notes:   None   
 Sources:  None   

~~~~~~~~

Submitter:
 Shannon BATES
284 Jarvis St., Oshawa, Ontario, L1G 5K9, Canada     

Here is Aunt Maggie's son

John Gartland     Compact Disc #10     Pin #813038   

~~~~~~~~

Event(s):
 Birth:  24 May 1891  Place:   Deseronto, Tyendinaga Township, Hastings County, Ontario, Canada 
 Death:  1951  Place:     
 Burial:    Place:   Deseronto Cemetery, Richmond Township, Lennox & Addington County, Ontario, Canada 

~~~~~~~~

Parents:
Father:  Michael* Gartland     Disc #10     Pin #813035 
Mother:  Margart* Driscoll     Disc #10     Pin #813036

~~~~~~~~

Marriage(s):
 Spouse:  Irene     Disc #10     Pin #813039

Marriage:    Place: 
 Submitter:
 Lynn HERMAN
18 Panorama Crt. Apt. 311, Rexdale, ON, M9V 3Z8, Canada 

Maggie Driscoll Gartland's daughter
Marie* Margaret Gartland     Compact Disc #10     Pin #814733   
 Sex: F   

~~~~~~~~

Event(s):
 Birth:  11 Jul 1900  Place:   Deseronto, Tyendinaga Township, Hastings County, Ontario, Canada 
 Death:  21 Apr 1973  Place:   Deseronto, Tyendinaga Township, Hastings County, Ontario, Canada 
 Burial:    Place:   Deseronto Cemetery, Richmond Township, Lennox & Addington County, Ontario, Canada. 

~~~~~~~~

Parents:

~~~~~~~~

Marriage(s):
 Spouse:  Franklin* Aubrey Smith     Disc #10     Pin #814732

Marriage:  23 Oct 1922  Place:  St. Vincent De Paul Calathic Church, Deseronto, Tyendinaga Township, Hastings County, Ontario, Canada 

~~~~~~~~

Notes and Sources:
 Notes:   Available on CD-ROM Disc# 10   
 Sources:  Available on CD-ROM Disc# 10   

~~~~~~~~

Submitter:
 Lynn HERMAN

another son of Maggie Gartland

~~~~~~~~

Ambrose Gartland     Compact Disc #10     Pin #813037   

~~~~~~~~

Event(s):
 Birth:  25 Nov 1893  Place:   Deseronto, Tyendinaga Township, Hastings County, Ontario, Canada 
 Death:  1968  Place:     
 Burial:    Place:   Deseronto Cemetery, Richmond Township, Lennox & Addington County, Ontario, Canada 

~~~~~~~~

Parents:

~~~~~~~~

Personal Information:
  Religious Affiliation:  Place:  Roman Catholic. 

~~~~~~~~

Notes and Sources:
 Notes:   None   
 Sources:  Available on CD-ROM Disc# 10   

~~~~~~~~

Submitter:
 Lynn HERMAN

Good luck

Thelma

Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 May 05 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hello

about the Lawis Gagan in the 1901 Census - I took a look at the actual census page and am 95% sure that it says "Gagan, Laura, Dom." not Gagan, Lawis, dau.

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 May 05 16:31 BST (UK) »
hello again

this is a possible relative of your Grace Gartland. This man should be the grandson of Maggie Driscoll Gartland. The reference comes from an online index of Ontario obits.
http://www.ontarioobits.com/

GARTLAND, Leonard Jerome; 63; Napanee, ON; Kingston Whig Standard; 2004-08-24
GARTLAND, Leonard Jerome; 64; Napanee, ON; Belleville Intelligencer; 2004-08-24*JH**

Obituaries>> Deaths
GARTLAND, Leonard Jerome (of Deseronto) On Sunday, August 22nd, 2004 at the Lennox & Addington County Hospital, Napanee. Len Gartland in his 64th year. Son of the late John Gartland & Irene Cassidy. Dear brother of Noreen Gartland of Kingston; Anne C onger (Ron) of Deseronto and Marlene Cassidy (Russell) of Kingston. Pre-deceased by his sister Mary Heffernan. Remembered by his nieces and nephews. Following cremation the family will receive friends at the McGlade Funeral Home, 78 Centre St., Deser onto on Wednesday from 7-9 p.m. A Service of Remembrance will be officiated by Father Michael Reed on Thursday, August 26th at 11:00 a.m. in the funeral home. Interment St. Vincent de Paul Cemetery, Deseronto. Memorial donations may be made to the Ca nadian Cancer Society or the Canadian Diabetes Association.
8/24/2004- ID4647501 - Kingston Whig Standard

These relatives could possibly help answer your questions about Laura Gagan and Jerome, Jerrold, and Grace Gartland.

Good luck

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 May 05 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

you may have already seen these but they are interesting

Home Children

~~~~~~~~
GEOGHEGAN , Stephen
Year of arrival: 1885 
Microfilm reel: C-4534 
Ship: SS Parisian 
Port of departure: Liverpool 
Departure Date: 7 May 1885 
Port of arrival: Quebec 
Arrival Date: 16 May 1885 
Party: Catholic Protection Society, Liverpool 
Destination: Probably Ottawa 
Comments: 136 children, Richard Yates in charge 
Reference: RG76 C 1 a 

Home Children
~~~~~~~~
GEOGHGAN , Grace
Note: The child's given name was illegible or difficult to decipher.

Home Children
~~~~~~~~
GEOGHGAN , Laura

Good luck

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 May 05 03:01 BST (UK) »
me again,

curious about if you have found what happened to Patrick, the older brother of Grace, Stephen and Laura?

Thelma

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 July 05 03:34 BST (UK) »