Author Topic: ANDREWKNOWS? Canonbie? COMPLETED with THANKS  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ANDREWKNOWS? Canonbie? COMPLETED with THANKS
« on: Wednesday 08 April 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
I've found some submitted IGI records for possible ancestors, which give place of birth and christening as "Andrewknows", Canonbie, Dumfries.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Andrewknows? A google search reveals absolutely nothing. Is there a place that sounds like Andrewknows in Canonbie?

If anyone would like to check, the person is William Bell b 8 Jul 1798. I was almost willing to believe this submitted record because it does give precise dates of birth and christening, and from William's death certificate I know that the parents are correct. In case it helps, William lived and died in Rowanburn.

But where IS this place?  :-\

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ANDREWKNOWS? Canonbie?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think it’s Andrews knows you are looking for, this is the link to a map showing the house:

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/record.cfm?Image_No=74426685

Andrews Knowes is below the large letter 'B' on the left hand side of the map sheet. The following are the 1851 census transcriptions for the two households at Andrews Knowes/Knows. Incidently a John Bell… probably some relation???

Anyway hope you find it ok on the map.

Emma

Canonbie Parish,
Book 3, Page 3
Andrews Knows
John Bell   Head   Unmarried   57   Farmer of 20 ac. Employing no Lab.   Dumfries, Canonbie
Andrew Calvert   Brother-in-law   Married   59   Ag. Lab.   Dumfries, Canonbie
Elizabeth Calvert   Sister   Married   43   House-Servant   Dumfries, Canonbie

Canonbie Parish,
Book 3, Page 3
Andrews Knows
John Waugh   Head   Widower   48   Farmer of 70 ac. 60 arable Employing 1 Lab.   Dumfries, Canonbie
Elizabeth Waugh   Daughter   Unmarried   17   Farmer’s Daughter   Dumfries, Canonbie
Jane Waugh   Daughter   Unmarried   16   Farmer’s Daughter   Dumfries, Canonbie
Jannet Waugh   Daughter      15   Farmer’s Daughter   Dumfries, Canonbie
Margaret Waugh   Daughter      13   Scholar   Dumfries, Canonbie
Agnes Waugh   Daughter      11   Scholar   Dumfries, Canonbie
Robert Waugh   Son      9   Scholar   Dumfries, Canonbie
Sarah Waugh   Daughter      7   Scholar   Dumfries, Canonbie
Isabella Waugh   Daughter      5      Dumfries, Canonbie
Joanna Waugh   Daughter      4      Dumfries, Canonbie
Ellen Waugh   Daughter      2      Dumfries, Canonbie

© 1851 Census Data — General Register Office for Scotland. Crown copyright. Reproduced with the permission of the Controller of the HMSO and Queen’s Printer for Scotland.

Published 2004 by Graham Maxwell Ancestry
www.maxwellancestry.com

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
Well Emma, that is fantastic. Thank you SO much! It looks to be quite close to Rowanburn too.

I wonder if you may know the answer to this? Andrews Knows looks to be a farm. If the IGI record says he was born and christened there, would he have been actually christened in the house rather than in a local church? (I'm trying to work out the likelihood of this record being accurate or a figment of someone's imagination). And where would records for such a small place be held if the LDS were able to film them?

Um, not sure who John Bell is. Looking at year of birth of approximately 1794, he may be William's older brother. I know William had a son called John, though with such common names it's difficult to make a connection. Certainly may be a relative of some sort though.

Many thanks once again.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
I've been googling and now found a few mentions of Andrews Knowes.

As an aside it looks like the Andrew Calvert in the 1851 census died in 1857.  :)

Another mention gives names of children christened in the house, so that goes some way to answering my own question above.

;D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 09 00:06 BST (UK) »
I've just had another look at those submitted IGI records for children chr AndrewsKnowes and sure enough, there IS a John Bell b 2 Mar 1794 and chr 5 Mar 1794 with same parents as my William.  ;D

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The IGI in Dumfriesshire doesn’t seem to have male births entered on it unless they have been submitted however as you say this entry does have the exact date.

We have had a look though at the vital records index which is complete in Scotland for the areas in which the IGI is deficient and I can confirm the entry, it does not say Andrews Knows on the Vital Records Index however I would not let that put you off as the person who has submitted the entry on the IGI has probably looked at the original . Also John Bell living there in 1851 is the brother of your William Bell.

Emma

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 April 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Emma. Yes I noticed all female births for Dumfriesshire when I checked Hugh Wallis's batch numbers yesterday.

Thanks to you adding that 1851 census to your reply I was curious to chase up the John Bell in the 1841 census and I believe he has his (and William's) mother with him, which is very exciting.

I also looked for Andrewsknowes on a modern map. You wouldn't believe it but google maps just misses out the area when zooming in, which is very frustrating. Microsoft maps unfortunately has a very unclear image, so I cannot see if there are any buildings still standing. Andrewsknowes is named on the Ordinance Survery Map. (I should have thought to check there first  ;)) Looking at the satelite images, the area is still recognizable as the same place in the map you posted the link to.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 April 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie
ScotlandsPeople shows a Birth/Baptism entry for a William Bell at Canonbie for 16th July 1798.  I have no credits so didn't check parents etc.  So far it would seem to confirm the IGI submitted entry you found where William's mother is shown as Brockbank.

I checked the D&G FHS booklet of Canonbie memorial inscrpitions.  There were three or four Brockbank/s - all of who seem to be related.   I didn't check the Bells :) :) :)

Regards
Reiver

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 April 09 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Reiver.  ;D

I can get some credits and check the entry on SP, but that's not likely to give parent' s names at that date is it? I didn't think the OPR's were very informative.

If it's OK I might get back to you at a later date about any possible MI's for the Brockbank/Bells in Canonbie.

Thanks again.  :)