Author Topic: 'MOVED' Alexander Gregory - Parish Clerk - Aberdeen  (Read 2733 times)

Offline jeffery1_6

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'MOVED' Alexander Gregory - Parish Clerk - Aberdeen
« on: Thursday 09 April 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to why my ancestors may have moved from Aberdeen all the way down to North Yorkshire....

Alexander Gregory (Parish Clerk according to his daughters marriage certificate in Hornby, North Yorkshire in 1840) had a daughter Helen born somtime between 1808 -11. Dates vary in different census, but its probably more likely to be 1810 -11.

In 1840 she was working as a laundry maid for the Duke of Leeds at Hornby Castle in Yorkshire (details from marriage cert). Interestingly, I notice from the following census for the Castle that after she left she was replaced by another girl from Aberdeen.

Does anyone have any idea what the connection between Aberdeen and Hornby Castle (Duke of Leeds) may be?

I haven't been able to find Alexander in the English census for 1841 and the site I subscribe to hasn't thrown up any obvious matches for Scotland either?

Any help or suggestions for any aspect of this family would be greatly appreciated.  :)

*SORRY* just realised I've posted this in the wrong place  :-[ Could I please request that it be moved to Aderdeenshire General Section please?