Author Topic: Loss of Family History Online  (Read 2616 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Loss of Family History Online
« on: Thursday 09 April 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Has anyone heard any up to date news about what is happening with all the records that used to be on family history online?  I know that the local family history societies were unhappy about the records going to findmypast. 

I was having a PM conversation the other day with another rootschatter and we were moaning about how much we feel the loss of that brilliant site and all the records that used to be on it.  :'(

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Loss of Family History Online
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
As far as I'm aware, from the beginning of March, all these records are now available on findmypast.  In return Family history societies receive royalty income.

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 09 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

That's the thing, the records that used to be on FHO are not on findmypast.  For instance there are now only burials for Sussex whereas FHO had stacks of baptisms as well.  :-\

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 09 21:50 BST (UK) »
I think that some of the family history societies (not 100% certain about this) have now made other arrangements.  Some societies were split over placing them online when FamilyHistoryOnline was first set up.  It may be worth checking the position with those socieities whose records are no longer there.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
This is an extract from email received from Family History Online back in February

"As you may know, www.FamilyHistoryOnline.net will cease to trade on 2 March, 2009. Most of the records you have enjoyed on this site have been transferred to findmypast.com, one of the leading suppliers of UK family history records, where you will be able to find many other records."

Have checked my local FHS journal, the only records they have on FindMyPast are burials.

Family History Societies are a rich source of information.  Income from the sale of CDs of BMD transcripts helps towards funding search facilities, open days etc., so can fully understand them not wanting to put all their resources online.

Susan  :)

Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 April 09 10:23 BST (UK) »
In the Family History magazine this month it tells of a very large number of records from Family History on Line got lost in the transfer.
Quote--"-An estimated 2.8million records disappeared from on line after the closure of the Federation of Family Histor Societies  website Family History on Line on March 2nd.Although some records were transferred to Find My Pastmany were lost including BMSGH Marriage index for Birmingham, Staffs,and Worcestershire as well as details of baptism marriagesaand memorial inscriptions
FHS hope that the content will go back on lineat some point,meanwhile manual searches will still be possible at contributing History societies"
Bring back FHonline. How could this happen?So much work has been put into an excellent site which is no more. It is not so easy researching at the Family History Societies unless you live nearby which is highly unlikely.
I dont think there is much we can do is there
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ringrose

That's rather careless, losing 2.8 million records and I wonder if that includes the baptisms from Sussex that I can no longer access.

Kerry

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 April 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
That's really bad.  Certainly those of us on the other side of the world can't trot along to the Family History Societies to do research!   :( >:( :'(

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 April 09 11:21 BST (UK) »

Kerry - I've just looked for some Sussex Ballard/Bollard baptisms and burials that I found originally on FHO and none are  appearing on findmypast......

What a shame :'( the Sussex records were some of the best on FHO

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins