Author Topic: Loss of Family History Online  (Read 2612 times)

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Loss of Family History Online
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 April 09 11:33 BST (UK) »
It certainly seems to be a step backwards for research.

I see why FH societies might be reluctant to put their data online. And why they want to sell their CDs instead. However, although I have joined several FHSs, who will do look-ups, it is too expensive to join every one, and also pricey to buy a CD just to look up one or two BMDs.
BENNET(T); NRY- Brotton, CON
BURTON; NRY- Saltburn, Guisborough, Marske, Stokesley
Judge Newark Lincoln BURTON , USA
DALES; NRY- Brotton, LIN - Orby
DAVIES
GEORGE: GLA - Oystermouth & Penarth, CON
LINCOLN. Middlesbrough, NRY, Durham
PERRETT Gloucestershire
QUESTED London. Assisting with One-name Study.
TRASK; GLA - Cardiff, Barry etc, SOM - South Petherton
WESTED

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 April 09 08:30 BST (UK) »
Kerry,
SFHG have their own database up and running now which contains the baptisms I imagine were on FHO. It will also contain Burials and the Sussex People Index when they have been transferred.
You will have to be a member to access them.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 April 09 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean

I discovered it yesterday after a PM from Little Nell.  Good for Sussex.   ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 April 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
For anyone else who is a member of Sussex FHG you can now view records online http://sfhg.frontisgroup.com/bin/index.php

Kerry  :)

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 April 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
Is there a list anywhere of the records formerly on FHO which have not transferred to Findmypast? It seems to me quite a few, but maybe I'm just unlucky with my areas.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 April 09 18:24 BST (UK) »
Marmaduke makes an important point, when this type of thing happens it should be best practise for the site which is closing to say where all the information has gone, or is going to go to. Much the same thing has recently happened with Lincolnshire On line parish clerk, loads of information, site closing, then just zapped. Bad practise in my opinion.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 April 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
Plain boggles my mind....  :-\ :P
Dorothy
Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 April 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
Never mind no doubt it will all reappear at a highly inflated price on the commercial sites fpr us all to use very soon!  (now where's the smily for sarcasm....)

I understand why some of family history societies were unhappy about the deal with FindMyPast  ::)

Kerry

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 April 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Marmaduke makes an important point, when this type of thing happens it should be best practise for the site which is closing to say where all the information has gone, or is going to go to. Much the same thing has recently happened with Lincolnshire On line parish clerk, loads of information, site closing, then just zapped. Bad practise in my opinion.

There is a list on the Family History Online site with a 'traffic light' system showing which datasets have been transferred to FindMyPast and which have not.

www.familyhistoryonline.co.uk/database/index.shtml#LAN

Those with a green 'light' have been transferred, and those with a red one have not. Most of the red datasets are census indexes where FindMyPast already has its own index.

The amber lights are for datasets that have not been transferred, but which may appear on FindMyPast in due course; some of these are where societies are working with FindMyPast on the 1851 census indexing project; others are where no contract has been signed with FindMyPast, for whatever reason.

The datasets were always the property of the societies that created them while they were on FHO, therefore it is up to each society to decide what its future arrangements might be, so with the best will in the world FHO could not predict what they might be in each case. Nonetheless, FHO (or more accurately, Chad Hanna) went to the trouble of trying to provide as much infromation as possible.

Mean_genie