Author Topic: Problem with Free BMD  (Read 3551 times)

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Free BMD
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 April 09 23:33 BST (UK) »
Stonechat,,

Yes, I realise I should but since I don't know how to spell the spouse's surname, I am not sure how I should word it.  I have rejected the scan so hopefully somebody will look at it again and see there is a problem.

Sue

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 April 09 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue:  I've had a look at another version of the page, and it is definitely William Bodnam who married Jane Fryer - at least the page numbers match - 493.  There is another entry for William Bodnum in Gloucester but the page for that is 433.

I transcribe for FreeBMD so I'll have a word with my leader to see what can be done because as far as I can make out the whole page is missing from the transcriptions, although the chart says that December quarter 1862 is complete.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 April 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
BumbleB,

Thank you so much - that is very kind of you.

Sue

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 April 09 17:38 BST (UK) »
You do realise that the scan will only show the alphabetical entries including the person who you have selected.
If the spouse is missing from BMD then you can't have clicked to view the scan on which he appears.

So you search for Jane FRYER Gloucester 1862 and after her name it shows 493.
You click the 493 and the shows the other people who were entered on Gloucester 6a 493.
If you click the specs after Jane FRYER the scan it gives you is (or rather should be) the index page (not the register page) on which she appears not necessarily her spouse.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 April 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
That's right, but in this case, the register page for surnames Bodley to Bolas appears to be missing from FreeBMD, which is why I have broached the subject with my leader as the transcription for this quarter is supposedly complete.  And, if you put any surname from Bodley to Bolas into FreeBMD, there are no matches.  An...y shows the register page for Bodley to Bolas and on it is the "other half", with the same index page number - 493. 

But there again, nobody is infallible, and he who never makes a mistake, never does anything!!  ;D   ;D  And I'm not being sarcastic, just admitting that we are all capable of errors, but in this case I may be able to do something to put things right.

BumbleB

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 April 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
It's great if you can get the ball rolling to make them aware of some missing entries =)

I was just pointing out that the scan wouldn't show the spouse as he isn't there to click on the "view original".
The view original just shows the index page that person appeared on and not all people who appeared on 493.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 April 09 20:08 BST (UK) »
JustKia,

Just to clarify - it was when I scanned for Jane Fryer 1862, the scan showed a page of Jacksons, so obviously some gremlins have got into this transcription.

I shall be more than grateful if BumbleB is able to set the wheels in motion to get it corrected.

Sue

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue:

I've now seen the spreadsheet for the quarter and the page for Bodley to Bolas is definitely missing and hasn't been transcribed, so I've reported back to my leader for his further comments.

I'll keep you posted.

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:56 BST (UK) »
That is very kind of you - I am most grateful.

Sue