Author Topic: Rustidge Family of Mere, Cheshire  (Read 8091 times)

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Rustidge Family of Mere, Cheshire
« on: Monday 26 April 04 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi!

After a full day trudging my way through church record, I think I may have found the area in which my elusive Michael and Fanny Rustidge were living.  As they were both born and died in Tabley, Cheshire. Their marriage in Rostherne, I had only checked through those areas on the census.
From the church records, it appears they were living next door in a small village called Mere, where all their children were born.
If anyone has any of the census 1841/51/61/71 I would be grateful if you could see if you can locate them for me.

It has taken me a while to get this breakthrough, and it does feel GOOD.

Catherine   :)

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re:Rustidge Family of Mere, Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine
Glad to hear your making progress, I have done a search of the township of Mere Cheshire without finding the Rustage family, I have the 1841 for all Cheshire so if you would like me to look elsewhere it would be no problem.
The census is not indexed and goes down from fairly fient to invisible to the naked eye, so it may take some time.
I do not have the 1851 except for Macclesfield and Congleton.
Can you let me know the ages and names of the children, it may help when reading the census the more names the better.
p.s. there were only 246 persons in Mere and although I could not read them all there were definatly no Rustages

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi! Peter

Thank you for checking that, the family is as followings

Michael Rustidge  B 1792     Tabley
Fanny Rustidge    B. 1795    Tabley
Samuel Rustidge  B. 1821    Tabley
Mary Rustidge      B. 1824    Mere
Ellen Rustidge      B. 1826    Mere
Joseph Rustidge   B. 1828   Mere
James Rustidge    B. 1833   Mere

Michael and Fanny were born Tabley and are buried there in 1881.   They married in Rostherne which is next door to Tabley, and all children were christened in Rostherne.
I found them on the 1881 census where they were living in Hole Houses, Tabley.  As to what area they are living in is a mystery at the moment. I think the problen being, that there is lots of little villages and farmland in this area.

I will be booking a reader in a couple of weeks to try and track them.  Someone did look for me in Tabley and Rostherne, and they say they are not there.  So maybe I will have to wait and go through all areas.

If in the meantime you are looking for anyone else on the 1841, would be grateful if you could keep this family in mind.

Once again "A Big Thank You" for taking the time to look for them in Mere.

Catherine  :)

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine
Found this record today not the Rustlidge you are looking for but the only one in the Rostherne,Tabley area and well worth keeping for future reference.

HO107/94/14/P8 Tabley Superior
Thos Rustlidge  53  ag/lab     born in county
Anne     ~          43                   ~         ~
Thos      ~         10                   ~          ~
Robert   ~         7                     ~          ~
Anne      ~         5                     ~         ~
Betsey   ~          9 months       ~          ~

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 04 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi! Again Peter

Thank you so much for that information and printout, I will certainly keep hold of it, this could possibly be a brother of Michaels.

Thank you for your time in looking for this info, it is very much appreciated.

Catherine    :)

Offline Rustidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 04 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine
found site by chance.
Have my husband`s grandfather`s birth cert,  William Roughsedge born Budworth Antrobus Cheshire 1865.
On 1881 census family are in Crompton Lancashire,
father Thomas Rustage aged 38 born Oxford. I can`t find his records but his wife Ellen and 5 children all born Antrobus Cheshire. My husband`s aunts ( all now dead said family came to Crompton from Great Budworth Cheshire. Name now all spelt Rustidge. So spelling varies may be registrar at time if they could not write.
Hope this is of interest.  
Rustidge Rustage Roughsedge Metcalfe McNeill Cliffe Hartley Greenwood Cudworth

Offline CM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 June 04 22:44 BST (UK) »
I have just started researching the Rustage name, I've haven't got very far but so far my Rustages have been listed as :
Rustich
Rustige
Roughsedges

Walter Rustage b. Oct 1865 in Mere, Cheshire to Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Lamb). Walter married at Rostherne Church in 1891.

It's frustrating having to check the records for so many different spellings! Good Luck.

Offline Glasto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rustidge Family of Mere, Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 05 21:46 BST (UK) »

Offline Glasto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rustidge Family of Mere, Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 September 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
I am researching details from a family book I have been gven and it mentions a  John Rustage, born 1834 in Mere.  His father is detailed as Walter Rustage who married Betty Loft.  John moved to Antrobus by the 1881 census and in 1856 married Margaret Beswick.  Does this tie in with anyone else's Rustages?