Author Topic: ellen kerr or gourley born torthorwald scotland 1895  (Read 2289 times)

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
ellen kerr or gourley born torthorwald scotland 1895
« on: Saturday 11 April 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
searching for info about helen or ellen or nell kerr  fathers name alexander gourley born 1895 torthorwald scotland  her mothers name was isabella kerr she was single ellen was with a foster family called porter when she was small she may have married   she went to canada as a young woman  i have no other info except an elderly aunt saying she had gone to canada  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ellen kerr or gourley born torthorwald scotland 1895
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 09 18:16 BST (UK) »
ellen kerr is 4x grand child of janet hetherington  csc

Offline Al Gourley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
Dear CSC,

Your note could refer to my great grandfather.  My great grandfather was Alexander Gourley, who lived in Amherst Nova Scotia. He had a son, James, who had 3 children, (Albert) Carlisle, (Elisabeth) Betty and Arthur.  Carl was a geologist and my father.  James was a farm owner (dairy) and also a local road builder. His father was a ship builder I believe.

Our family is intertwinned with the families by the name of Shipley, Coates, Lewis and a number of others.

If this sounds like the right branch please write me as I simply registered here because I came across your note. I will put you in touch with my Aunt Betty who is very familiar with the family history.

Cheers, Al Gourley

ellen kerr or gourley born torthorwald scotland 1895
« on: Saturday 11 April 09 22:17 BST (UK) »   
searching for info about helen or ellen or nell kerr  fathers name alexander gourley born 1895 torthorwald scotland  her mothers name was isabella kerr she was single ellen was with a foster family called porter when she was small she may have married   she went to canada as a young woman  i have no other info except an elderly aunt saying she had gone to canada 

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 06:31 BST (UK) »
hi al  thanks for your reply i dont think this is our ellen i think she may have been adopted as her mother was single and she had several half brothers and sisters one of her brothers ended up in the australian army another was a farm servant here just goes to show how many people read these posts    csc in dumfries

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
Wonder if she was sent as a a home child, not that it helps your search. I could find no evidence of this on the database for entry, but since one lad ended up in Australia, she may have been sent to Canada through a child  migration scheme http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-100.01-e.php
Also to add to the name confusion, there is also Nel and Nellie used for Ellen Helen

You didn't say, so will ask if you found her on the 1911 Scotland census?

Al, welcome to rootschat... please modify your post and remove the email address...( or it will cause your email account to be spammed with tons of junk and you'll need to change it.)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
have not found her yet an elderly aunt said she had gone to canada she was with foster parents in torthorwald 1901 her name could also be helen her mother was isabella kerr her father alexander gourlay isabella was a dairy maid and had several children to different fathers she eventually married and had another daughter that i remember as a child this other daughter still has sons who are alive  will have a look at that address you sent thanks csc

Offline Al Gourley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
sorry i couldn't help. the alexander gourley reference and date and country all seemed to match.  good luck and thanks jj for advice. al