Author Topic: info about Shiel Barry/Dorothy Minto  (Read 10745 times)

Offline tabia s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: info about Shiel Barry/Dorothy Minto
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 August 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for helping, i made 2 big breakthroughs and a new photograph to add to my collection. Thanks again everybody.

Offline sarahjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 September 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this site but happened to be googling my grandparents who were Shiel Barry and Dorothy Minto when I discovered a link to this.  I may be able to add some information or clarify some points for you. Any information you could pass on would also be welcome.  Maire Shiel Barry was my mother and did indeed live in Westhampnett in Sussex. She died in 1976 in Steyning, Sussex.

Offline ritaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 September 10 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarahjean

I would very much like to exchange info on Shiel & Dorothy. I didn't realise they had any living descendants!

Offline sarahjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 September 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
there are a lot of decendants as I have a large family :)  Can I ask, what is your interest in my grandparents?  I don't have a great deal of information myself but I might be able to help.

Offline ritaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarahjean

My greatgrandmother, Alice Pocock, was the younger sister of Shiel's mother, Rachel. My mother was named after Shiel so I have always wanted to know more about him.

I think that when we have both made three postings (this is my third) we should be able to send personal messages, so I could exchange more info with you.

Rita

Offline sarahjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Rita I do know that Shiel's mothers maiden name was Pocock as I have found amongst my Mother's photo's his birth certificate.  I've also found a theatre programme in which he is named and the parts he played at the Globe Theatre interesting isn't it? 

Offline Peterjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 October 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
There are two Shiel Barry's the father and the son - both actors.  My great grandmother was the daughter and brother of these two.  Shiel the younger was killed / missing in action on the Somme, Oct 7 1916 - I have the standard card that was issued by the army to relatives  - my Grandmother, Shiel's niece, took in the telegram.  I have photos of Shiel, a photo I believe of Dorothy Minto and of course many photos of my great grandmother and her children etc.  My Great Grandmother was Blanche Eleanor Barry and she lived to be over 90 - her mother was Rachel Pocock.  My late mother was tracking the family tree and wondered what had happened to Maire and to Dorothy.

Offline sarahjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 October 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
I am Shiel Barry and Dorothy Mintos grandaughter Maire was my mother .I have my grandfathers birth certificate which says his name is Ronald Shiel Barry and his Father was Andrew Shiel Barry mother Rachael Pocock also that he was a comedian any help?

Offline Peterjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 October 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi sarahjean,

This sounds great - not sure yet how we can connect up.

Shiel's sister Blanche, my great grandmother, had two children Eric and Eileen both now deceased.  Eric was married in the USA and had I think two children - he and his wife divorced and he went to Ecuador - he had 4 daughters and one son by his second wife, all except one daughter now live in Miami.  Eileen was married twice - she had a son by her first marriage - she remarried in circa 1930 ( I should check the certificate for the exact date) and had three daughters, one was my late mother.

According to my papers here Shiel had two other sisters, Lallah and Phyllis, and also a brother Andrew.

I have attached a photo of Shiel.  If this all comes through I can send another photo make a third post in the forum which I think then enables us to connect?? Otherwise I will post an e-mail address.

Peter