Author Topic: 1920 Census look-up please.  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Ozdot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1920 Census look-up please.
« on: Sunday 12 April 09 04:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace a great aunt of mine who may have emigrated to USA around 1912.
She was Charlotte Elizabeth Mulliner, born Sep 1873 in Pimlico, London.
There was a whisper in the family that she may have gone to New Orleans.
Any help on this query would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
.Dot.
Dorset - Cole, Roberts,
Northants - Mulliner, Shaw
Oxon - King, Palmer, Hedges
Lincs - Dawson, Wills, Simons
Derbys - Wills, Widdowson, Peach, Turner
Kent - Wolfe, Bowen

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1920 Census look-up please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 09 05:05 BST (UK) »
New York Passenger
Charlotte E Mulliner arrived in New York on 8 April 1876, she was age 36.  Charlotte was a nurse and last lived in London, England.

Her sister, Frances M. Milliner, lived at 8 Princes? Ave Liverpool.  Charlotte's final destination was New Orleans, Louisiana.  She was travelling to "c/o Presbyterian? Hospital, New Orleans".  She was 5' 3 1/2? and had grey eyes.  It looks like she was born in London, England.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 09 05:21 BST (UK) »
I'm not finding her in 1920 or 1930.  I don't know if this site might be of help:
http://nutrias.org/~nopl/spec/speclist.htm
New Orleans Library, Special Collections
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 09 05:23 BST (UK) »
I don't have access to view the record, but there is a return to England for a Miss C E Mulliner, Port of Arrival London, England.

Offline Ozdot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 09 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lisa, thanks for your help.  I have a couple of queries though.

The date of arrival - you have as 1876.  This can't be right? The details of New Orleans seem to confirm the family tale.

The information about Frances M Mulliner is interesting as she was the twin sister of Charlotte E.  Can you direct me to where you found Frances living in Liverpool?

Also where did you find Charlotte coming back into England?  I may be able to gain access to this. 

Just when you think you are getting somewhere you meet another dead end don't you? 

Their sister - my grandmother,  is somewhere behind a brick wall waiting for me and a bulldozer.

Anyhow, once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers, Dot.
Dorset - Cole, Roberts,
Kent - Wolfe, Bowen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 09 03:48 BST (UK) »
Dot, I'm very sorry for the mistake!  I typed her birth year, rather than the year she arrived.

Should read: Charlotte E Mulliner, born about 1876, arriving 8 April 1912.  Departed Liverpool, England on the "Caronia."

The image for the above includes:
"The name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came: Sister Frances M. Mulliner, 8 Princes? Ave Liverpool"

"Whether going to join a relative or friend; and what relative or friend, and his name and complete address: c/o Presbetyian(?) Hospital New Orleans"

C E Mulliner is listed on Anc...try (may we use that name on this site?) on the UK Incoming Passenger List.

Once again, sorry for the date error.

Offline Ozdot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 April 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lisa,
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. 
From the date that Charlotte arrived I think she may have been caught up in the drama of the Titanic tragedy.  She would have heard all about it anyway.
Now it is back to 'the drawing board' to find those two sisters after she returned.
Your help is very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Dot.
Dorset - Cole, Roberts,
Kent - Wolfe, Bowen