Author Topic: buriel place of grandparent completed with thanks  (Read 4427 times)

Offline molly90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
buriel place of grandparent completed with thanks
« on: Friday 10 April 09 18:58 BST (UK) »
 :-\I am pretty new here, and do not know if I have the right place to ask this question.  I am trying to find the buriel place for my grandparents, who died in Staffordshire in 1923 and 1948 respectively.  I do have further information about them, if anyone can help.
Stokes, Derbyshire/Staffordshire UK
Windmill, Staffordshire, uk

Offline molly90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Update on burial place of grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Grandparents names are Annie Eliza Windmill (nee Cork) b. 1871. d.1923 in Horninglow, Staffordshire, (i think)

Joseph Windmill b.1869 in Walsall, Staffs.  d. 14.3.48 in Horninglow.

I have looked on the database for St Johns church, Horninglow, but they are not there.

Burton on Trent was split at the time between Derbyshire and Staffordshire, hence the uncertainty of the county.

Whoever moved my request from beginners section to this section. Thank you there is a great deal of information in this part which I have found very useful.

Regards

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: buriel place of grandparent
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Molly 90

I have posted the same question for Oxfordshire and Hertford.  Keep your eye on those two also, between us,we might learn something.

I shall be watching Staffordshire for your replies!

Good luck,

epc

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Molly and epc,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Most people seem to be buried near to where they died, but not necessarily.

The first thing would be to find where they died, whether they had been in that area for some time and a little about the financial circumstances of the family (from occupations etc. of immediate family and immediate ancestors).

Staffordshire is quite a large county made up of many towns and villages, the majority of which have cemeteries/burial grounds.  At that time, it would also have included a substantial portion of the West Midlands conurbation.

By that time, cremation would also be an option, depending on their religion.

Do you have a town or village name to start from?  Do you know if they belonged to a particular parish/church community?

Church records of burial services may record the cemetery of burial (if it is not at the same place).  Some burial records are on-line (for instance Wolverhampton Church amd Merridale Cemetery burials).  Others can be read on film at local archives (e.g. Bilston main Cemetery at Wolverhampton Archives).
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dudley for your quick reply.

I am searching for my husbands great grandmother, Eliza Frances Blanks, who died aged 77 years 4.2.1925 at Thame, Oxfordshire.  She had lived there for at least 14 years, since marrying for the 2nd time.  Her husband was shown as a horse keeper when she married him in 1897 and on her death certificate she was shown as 'widow of Charles Blanks, Innkeeper.   They lived at 56 High Street, Thame, so presumably there would have been enough to buy her a headstone.  Her son was the informant and he was a coachman in 1901.

I will make enquiries in Thame, after Easter.  Thank you again,

epc

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi epc,

even if there is no headstone, if the family were more comfortably off, then it is more likely that she would have had a private grave and so she would be with other members of the family so if you find one, the records may lead you to more.

If she lived in the centre of a village or small town then the church and town centeries would be most likely but it is always possible that she had a place kept for her in a grave belonging to her birth family or with children from an earlier marriage [I have a great-grandmother buried with two brothers who had died 30 years earlier, no sign of the husband despite the fact that he died only a few weeks later].
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Dudley

Eliza married her 1st husband, George, 1867 in Kensington.  He was a coachman, we think to Reuben Sassoon.  They had 3 sons, all coachmen and 4 daughters.  George died in 1882 aged 39, with pneumonia (family story says that he had to change an open carriage for a covered carriage in the pouring rain which caused his death).

They were married in the Parish Chuch, Kensington and George died at Belgrave Mews North, Belgrave, registration district St George Hanover Square.  We don't know where he was buried - I feel another search coming on.

Eliza married Charles Blanks in 1897 in Bromley, Kent, having lived at Hove, Brighton on the 1891 census.  1901 census she is at Hammersmith married to Charles Blanks.  1911 she is living in Thame with Thomas and Charlotte Grant, a visitor, widow and a housekeeper at 53 High Street.  She died 14 years later at 56 High Street, Thame.

Where she was buried is anyones guess.  There are two possible deaths for 2nd husband Charles.  Age wise the best he died in Chelmsford (why was he there?), but there is another where he died at Thame - this must be the favourite. although I have not proof that he ever lived there.

I think that I have a lot of further research to find out where both George and Charles are buried, and hope that there is a headstone with her name on it!!!

Thanks for all your help.

Offline molly90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 09 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hello epc

Thank you for replying.  I keep getting a little confused on this site, but i am getting used to it.

Thanks for putting information on Oxfordshire and Hertfordshire.
I did not realise there was a special grave finder site.

I have just given as much information as i can to Dudley, but there does not seem to be any record of it. ::)

I will certainly keep my eyes open for them both.

Thank you again.

Offline Polly1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 April 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
:)Hi, what I did was to go onto wishfull_thinking and on there found a section where they had inscriptions, I first looked at churches close to the area where my gt gt grandparents came from and then a little further afield, luckily for me I found them, it can be quite a trawl, I also did this with my gt grandparents,I have a copy of their marriage cert and reasoned that if they were married at this particular church they may be buried there too but no they weren't so I went back to where I had found my grandparents grave and lo and behold they were there so you can do a bit of tooing and froing but personally I felt it worth it