Author Topic: House/Place name in Dunoon ?  (Read 9074 times)

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
House/Place name in Dunoon ?
« on: Sunday 12 April 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hello all, can anyone shed any light on Milton Cottage, Dunoon circa 1894, I have googled it and it comes up with a residence on Queen St, Dunoon on today's map, could this be the same place ?.
Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks.
McEachern/McKechnie and variants - Isle of Mull McKinnon - Isle of Mull, MacPherson, MacDonald, MacPhee, MacMillan, MacAulay and Wilson all Benbecula. MacPherson, MacPhee and Campbell-South Uist. McKillop-Oban, McArthur- Island of Luing.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: House/Place name in Dunoon ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
If it is any help, in the 1891 census, there is a reference to Sandbank Rd Milton Cottage in Dunoon. A Campbell family were living there, headed up by a Hugh and Elizabeth.

Monica

Added: from the same search, there is also Milton Road, Milton Cottage. Milton Road seems to have a number of entries with different names for various cottages including a Milton Cottage.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply, the reason I am looking is oit as given as the place of birth on my Grandfather's birth certificate, his name was Donald MacKechnie, Donald's parents were Peter MacKechnie and Flora MacKechnie nee MacPherson, Donald was born in 1894 so maybe they moved in after the 1891 census, by the 1901 census young Donald and his mother are living in South Uist whilst Donald's father is deceased ( maybe ), another story, but thank you anyway Monica.
McEachern/McKechnie and variants - Isle of Mull McKinnon - Isle of Mull, MacPherson, MacDonald, MacPhee, MacMillan, MacAulay and Wilson all Benbecula. MacPherson, MacPhee and Campbell-South Uist. McKillop-Oban, McArthur- Island of Luing.

Offline josie46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Donnie We used to go on holiday to Queen St for years  and there was a Milton Cottage in Queen St  there's a Milton Rd and the Milton burn in same area Just off Queen St

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 09 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Josie, can you remember it to give a description, will have to try and find some old maps, see how the area  looked in 1895 ish if I can, maybe google earth for now. Thanks again Josie

Offline josie46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 09 14:45 BST (UK) »
I was looking up a couple of sites for you to enquire one is the Dunoon library which has fam history archive email
pauline.flynn[at]argyll-bute.gov.uk

also the Castle Museum might have some info as they have a lot on old Dunoon
email
info[at]castlehousemuseum.org.uk

Josie

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Josie, that's great, will email them today.

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 09 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Donnie,
I live in Dunoon if you would like I can take a look next time I am down town and take a photo, if its still there,
The name is familiar
Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you prophetess that would be great.