Author Topic: devonshire st cemetery  (Read 5631 times)

Offline genefinder

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
devonshire st cemetery
« on: Monday 13 April 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all
would like to hear if anyone has been trying to find their ancestors moved from devonshire st sydney  cemetery 1901 and cannot find them.
In the cemetery register it does say  my family moved to rookwood then stone to bunnerong(eastern suburbs cemetery)It was a vault with 5 family members I cannot find them at bunnerong
nor rookwood and was told to forget it by cemetery manager.
It seems they are lost in transit.
                gene
pennington /huddersfield pennington/australia goddard/ uk may/uk bevitt /uk harvey/ uk/devlin/ ireland  murrell uk faux /tasmania jones /ireland nordstedt/sweden  hughes/uk  henry/uk mccarthy /australia quinn/australia

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: devonshire st cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
you need to search the re-internment records which are kept at Kingswood,Western Sydney Archives Office.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-69

Leanne

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have the same problem. I traced a record that John Williams Cox and his headstone were transfered to Botany but there is no record of him at the Botany Cemetery .  I read somewhere that Botany had a "clean up" and removed the Devonshire headstones, some were placed in a Pioneer Park.

I have been out to Botany a number of time and had no luck finding out what happened to John's headstone.

I have a similar problem with a Honora Gahan, she was moved from the Catholic Cemetery at Petersham to Rookwood, there are a number of Petersham Headstones at Rookwood, however my Honora appears to have vanished.

Good luck in your search

Cass

Offline genefinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 09 06:11 BST (UK) »
hi cass
I have been told out of 8000 graves only 800 survived.I was there lately and the pioneer park has a new plaque which may or may not have been put there by the relatives.I think it very unlikely that a vault would have vanished in 100 yrs i dont think it was ever put there .5 members of my family have vanished
when last there i went to look at my great grandmothers grave which i visited as a child it is gone and new graves are there.The pioneer park will be the only one that will remain the same as it is heritage  down the bottom near water has been all cleared of old graves.
pennington /huddersfield pennington/australia goddard/ uk may/uk bevitt /uk harvey/ uk/devlin/ ireland  murrell uk faux /tasmania jones /ireland nordstedt/sweden  hughes/uk  henry/uk mccarthy /australia quinn/australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I am aware of re-internments from Devonshire St to Gore Hill, the original burials may have been as early as 1828, and covered an extended family across several generations, although I would never have found that re-internment except for the good efforts of a researcher, who was also working on the same branch as me at that time.  I am still not aware of any index showing the original internment within the Wesleyan section at Devonshire St.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 April 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

In my search for John Williams Cox I purchased the book by Keith Johnson and Malcolm Sainty "Sydney Burial Ground 1819 -1901"

In the book is a section on the MI at Botany compilied in 1969/70 for the stonework transfered from Sydney Burial Ground, it lists details of 2825 headstones, so the clean up must have been a big job. John's headstone is included in this list so I know that it was still at Botany in 1969.

On page 324 there is a long list of Cemeteries where the remains and stonework where transfered, (includes Gore Hill) the list starts at Balmain and ends at Woronora.

There is a Re Interment Register for the Wesleyan section, but I cannot find an internment index, there is an section on 'Licenses to Buy" which includes  the section of the graveyard  eg RC, Pres Wes.

Cass

Offline genefinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
the Sydney burial ground book 1918 -1901 does have my ancestors in that book transferred stone to bunnerong. So equipped with this information after spending a day searching i approached the office of the cemetery and spoke to the manager or person in charge.He told me the info on the page i had with me was not worth anything and they could be anywhere. I was told to forget about it. The wrong thing to tell me. So 2 years down the track i am still searching.I was at the cemetery at Bunnerong(Eastern Suburbs) last month and there isn't a lot in the Pioneer park but the graves  have been done up It seems what is documented in books isn't always what is for real If only I had the document that my relatives signed to have them exhumed
            gene

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
The Re-Internment Registers are kept at Kingswood Archives, see reply 2, these contain information on where the dis-interred where moved to and which family member took responsibility for the removal, where possible.
I think there is a little confusion here, The Old Sydney Burial Ground is underneath Town Hall Station in Sydney, these were very early burials here, there is currently excavations going on there to ascertain how many and who were buried there and Devonshire Street Cemetery, a later Cemetery, is located at Central Station, the removals were to make way for the building of Central Station, Sydney.
The Sydney Burial Ground Book etc as mentioned in other posts' probably won't help with Devonshire Street.
Leanne

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

to follow on from Leanne's info, here is the City of Sydney's online info about both The Old Burial Ground (up to say end of Gov. Macquarie's era) and the Devonshire St Cemetery (used after that and up to 1890's) http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/HistoryAndArchives/SydneyHistory/SocialHistory/OldSydneyBurialGround.asp
http://www.ccsl.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=284&Itemid=179
and added this link which missed the post somehow.  The confusion is because Devonshire St Cemetery was known in the 1860's and 1870's period as the Sydney Burial Ground.

Cheers,  Moi
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.