Author Topic: Finding Photos  (Read 1346 times)

Offline mcaussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Photos
« on: Monday 13 April 09 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I've got a bit of information regards to my family tree, I would now like to put faces to all the names.
What is the best way to find any photos of relatives. The tree starts in the 1800's.

Thanks

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Photos
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
unless you  have any famous relatives!! your first port of call should be your relatives themselves. i was lucky - my dad, years ago, made a family history photo album. i have now revamped this for my mum but it contains all the old family photos grouped by surnames. trouble comes when you have ones with no names on - tip for future - name your photos now!!
posting your interests on RC might turn up some relatives / people with photos too.

you might find photos taken at the turn of the century - these were very popular.

also if you want photos of churches (marriages etc / deaths) you could find these on genuki / town / village site. also try francis frith for general shots of places.

Best of luck,  Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 09 14:11 BST (UK) »
I've actually had some luck with Google Image Search - found about 6 or 7 photos.  My ancestors were not particularly famous.  And I've found photos of places where they lived.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
I've actually had some luck with Google Image Search

I'll second that :)

Try "Google Books" as well - both seem to come up with image and text sources and references that the text search alone doesn't find.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 June 09 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
You could if you have the names of the people and the address or area, look in the local papers archive on the internet. If you do find a photo of a family member this way, You should ask the news paper people if it would be ok for you too add it to your family tree on the internet first, (Copywright Laws) If you can, get it in writting first. Better for you to be safe then sorry. Normaly news papers are good with that kind of request.
I hope you find what you seek.

Hero
KELLY family in Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
JOHNSON family in Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
DEFFENBAUGH family in U.S.A.
RICHARDS family in England, UK
TURNER family in Engalnd, UK
WYATT family in Middlesex, England, UK
HARPER family in Scotland
Shafer family in U.S.A.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 June 09 03:24 BST (UK) »
Mcaussie, None of the photos, unless they are daguerrotypes, will be pre 1850 ish when photography go a go on.
One way to help narrow the possibilities with unnamed photos is to get them dated.  If you scan them and put them on the RC Photo Board  there are some very knowledgeable helpful people there who will give you some idea of the date when they were taken- clothes, backgound, name of photographer if it's studio portraits. Once you get a clue about dates it may then help as you try by elimination to see who the persons are.

charlotte