Author Topic: Immigration help please - John Richard TAYLOR  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Debbie658

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Immigration help please - John Richard TAYLOR
« on: Tuesday 14 April 09 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could someone please help me with finding some Immigation details?  I'm looking for my gr-grandfather's arrival to Australia.  His name was John Richard TAYLOR and he was born in Leeds, Yorkshire in 1856 and was a STONEMASON by trade.  His wife Fanny Taylor and his two daughters; Agnes and Edith, came out to Australia in 1886 and it says on her record "Meeting husband in Sydney".  The only trouble is I can't find any record of him coming out, not a year or on what ship.

It gets even more frustrating.  Apparently, he came out to Australia with his father, John TAYLOR Snr b.1832 but they both returned to England when his father became ill (can't find any record of them coming out to Australia or returning to England either).  The mystery deepens.  Anyhow, John Taylor Snr died in England in 1885 i think :-\

John Richard Taylor then came back out to Oz but i can't find him anywhere.  I really need help with this please!!!   Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Deb
TAYLOR - Leeds, Yorkshire
HOWMAN - Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire
HOPKINS - Tydd St Giles, Cambridgeshire
COOPER - Rutland, Lincolnshire
CORNALY - Paimpol, France

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration help please - John Richard TAYLOR
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
It would be helpful if you would post.....

1.The names of the PARENTS of the couple.

2.The source of your information re. the comings and goings.

3.The other 'events' of the daughters if known.

4.The location of the other events if known.

5.Why do you think he returned?

John Richard Taylor then came back out to Oz but i can't find him anywhere.  Debbie

Hope we can help ;D ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Debbie658

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply.  John Richard Taylor's parents were John & Eliza Taylor.  Fanny Letitia Taylor's parents were George James & Leah Howman and she was born at Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire.  John Richard's daughters, Agnes and Edith were both born at Leeds, Yorkshire.  It has Agnes Letitia Taylor 5 yrs and Edith Howman Taylor 2 yrs on the Passenger List.

I'm not quite sure why John Taylor wanted to bring his family out to Australia.  All I know is that her family were a different class to John's if you know what I mean.  There was a bit of tension there I believe.  Fanny's parents never came out to Australia.

I think John Taylor Snr and John Taylor Jnr originally may have come out for a better way of life but when John Taylor Snr got sick he wanted to go back to England, so John Jnr went back with his father. This information I have heard from relatives, nothing concrete I'm afraid and no relatives left that I can ask to validate it sorry.... :-[

John Taylor Jnr may have already had a job lined up, I'm not sure and that's why he returned to Australia and his wife and daughters followed.  It's said that he did some work on the Sydney Town Hall being quite a good stonemason.

If you need any more info please let me know.  Thanks again for your help with this, I really appreciate it :)

Deb

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb

You may already have this.

1881 census in UK (R G 11/4489) has this family living at 8 Burton Grove, Hunslet, Leeds
John Richard TAYLOR, 24, Stonemason, b Leeds,
Fanny L?, 23, wife, b Chipping Campden
Agnes L?, 9 months, dau, b Leeds

So that would seem to show he left after the 1881 census (in fact after 1884 according to the second child's age).

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
Why do you think he returned? SUE

Perhaps I worded that a little ambiguously.
What I meant was....
What make you believe he did return?
eg   you have evidence of more children, you know he died here etc. ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb
1871 census -
at 11 Apsley St, Headingley with Burley, Yorks all born Leeds

John TAYLOR, 38, journeyman stonemason,
Eliza, 37
John Richard, 14 stonemason's apprenyice
Sarah Ann, 10
Alfred, 6
Alice, 5
Ada,3
Annie, 1

In 1881 John, Eliza, Sarah Ann, Alfred, Alice, Ada and Annie along with what looks like twins, Arthur and Kate (9), Walter 7 and Eliza 5 are in Hunslet. 
I must admit to being a bit confused - (often happens!)
What is the sequence of John and his father emigrating - I am not clear if they came to Aus and returned to UK and then John Richard came back to Australia and fanny coming later than that?   Sorry to be so dense.  To be flippant, I can't see how John Senior would have had time to go to Australia with all those children!!
Cheers, judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Debbie658

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith & Sue

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I know with all those children, I don't know why he would come out with John Jnr.  Maybe he kept John company or whether he was looking to come out with his wife and other kids later, who knows???  It's just what I've heard from family members ...... that both Johns came out together, both went back to England, then John Jnr came out with his wife and children following later :)

Sue, yep I know for sure that John Richard Taylor came out as he had 3 other children born in Oz: Leonard, Gladys and Beatrice.  Leonard was my grandfather ;D  John Richard Taylor died in 1904 at Campbelltown, NSW.

Deb

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 10:27 BST (UK) »
Do you have his death certificate?  Usually it would tell you how long he had been in Australia, I think.

Cheers, Judith

Offline Debbie658

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Yes, it says Time in Colony 18 years.  That's why I thought it would be easy to find when he came out and on what ship, but no such luck unfortunately.

Deb