Author Topic: B&W Negatives c1961  (Read 9192 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
B&W Negatives c1961
« on: Tuesday 14 April 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
I have some black and white negatives from c1961.
My scanner is an Epson Perfection 1260 and between me and it we're not making a very good job.
What would be the best way to deal with these negatives please?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: B&W Negatives c1961
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
I take it that these are not 25mm negs?

If they are then putting them in the slide carrier should give great results.

If not, then scanning them on the glass will not work well. The light need to shine through them rather than come from below. You can make your own light box but trying to fit them into the slide carrier (may need modification) would be best.

Rog

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Kia

I think that's the one I have - or something like it - but I'm not with it* at the moment!

There is a separate entry point for 35 mm negs in the front part of the lid but you can also remove the lid backing and put them directly on the glass.

Have you got the manual - it explains how to do it quite well.

Gadget

* I'm not with the scanner I mean  ;D ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
OK total blonde moment right now  ;D
I don't understand the bit about putting them on the glass... isn't that the normal way? Or have I been doing regular scanning wrong from the get go?
There are no slide holders, just eight negatives in a paper pouch.
Each image is 57mm by 57mm. 3 strips have 2 images on, and one has been cut in half, so two single images.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
Ummm  - I think mine's a different model. See this link:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/062g/

you need the adapter if you only have the basic model  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
That's the same scanner I have.
Had a look round and it says they did do a 35mm slide adaptor but it's discontinued, but then these negs are 57mm sq. so wouldn't fit anyway I guess.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Negatives are scanned with a different light source than positives. With negs, the light has to pass through them (just like a darkroom enlarger) . With positives the light source is from below.

Scanners have a light source under the glass for normal scanning but most also have a back source in the lid for negative scanning.

Many scanners now have a separate slide/negative carrier rather than having to put them on the glass.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:07 BST (UK) »
You might need to do some fancy work - I think China has done some scans with a strong light shining through the negs. Basically, you'll need to put the negs on the glass with a piece of glass or OHP film taped down to hold them firmly. Then you shine a desk light through and press scan.

I've not done it this way as I've always had a separate light source in the lid on the models that I've had.

(Cross posted with my previous message)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:13 BST (UK) »