Author Topic: If You Do Nothing Else  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
If You Do Nothing Else
« on: Tuesday 14 April 09 12:58 BST (UK) »
Please please please make notes on the back of your photographs that include the names of those in the picture and the year it was taken.
You might know now who they are but when you're old and the mind is wandering - will you still remember? If you great grandchildren pick those pics up - will they know who everyone is?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: If You Do Nothing Else
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
justkia
 I have always taken photos,and have always marked most of them.I have five or more albums started about 35 years ago.What i call my family tree photo album.They start with me as a child and go right through the years with me and  my children at various ages of their life including one of the plane taking my daughter to Australia .When i started my Family tree after a while i was lucky enough to make a collection of family before me, My grandparent when they were young.So I then Bought another album to pre date me age 6 months ;D As you say i know who they are,just as well because non of them are dated.I cant,i also have a box crammed (but in order) of photos some still waiting for me to Date where and when they were taken.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
justkia,
I have photos  of ancestors that I do not know who they are!
I kept meaning to ask my great aunt,s who they were and now it is too late and I am left guessing.
So I am taking heed and naming those photos,
regards,Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
A lot of elderly people resist looking at old photos cos it makes them sad so it's imporant to try to do a little at a time on "good" days rather than make a big deal about it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:21 BST (UK) »
I'm sat here with a pile of old photos that came out my grandmother's loft recently.
I can identify my great-grandfather and my grand parents. I've managed to work out a couple of (my dad's) cousins. As for the rest of the people in the pics... who knows?
There's one of my dad which has the photo date on it - fabulous. Seems we had some holiday snaps developed Jul 81 (thanks Kodak for printing the date on the back of those!)

My grandmother has looked at these (not one to avoid looking at old pics, just we we've never been a family big on taking pics) but she can't remember who they might be, but her mind ins't what it used to be.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
I kept meaning to ask my great aunt,s who they were and now it is too late
That has been said many times by rootchat members.We seem to forget that these great aunts wont be around forever and times goes by so quickly. Another thing i would like to suggest in regard to taking photos of your family.You,your older still living rellies,grandchildren,birthdays weddings special occasions. Is Use a proper camera not a digie one,i started doing this last year.Because  with a normal camera you get a negative which if looked after can be printed again years later if the original gets lost.Put it another way you have taken a photos of your mothers 80th birth day,with your digital camera uploaded it to you p.c.Which later crashes all is lost :o
They cannot be replaced,on the brighter side hopefully you still have them in your camera ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
At least in the future with digital photographs if nothing else at least photos are dated!

I'm just getting into the habit of putting captions on all digital photos I take of the family though to help this process.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 April 09 00:32 BST (UK) »
Through this topic I have been reminded that i have lots of digital photos of buildings and other things I took last year. Also some of family and friends taken this year that were sent to me which i haven't dated.So I spent a couple of hours today on Paint and printed the year on the photos and added the names of the people on them.Next i will have to scan all the photos in my Photo family tree album.To do the same then i wont have to take them out to see whats on the back. One of my digital cameras hasn't got a date stamp on it,the other one has but it vanished two years ago and its still vanished :)

Celia    P.S. I always used to date my photos years ago,but i kept forgetting now they have piled up ::)
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 April 09 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

If you look at your photos in a package like Paint and look at properties the date when you took the photo should be there already with the details about the make of camera etc.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....