Author Topic: Do You Recognise This Building?  (Read 19837 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Recognise This Building?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
No clock tower so not the place but here is the kind of convalescent home ....

This is a children's convalescant home in Kent...so the suggestion of children's sanitorium could well be a possibility..

http://www.rootschat.com/links/062m/

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought but could it be an old people's home where Grandma is staying?

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kia...

The photo looks quite a good one.... does it look like a professional one rather than one taken by a passenger. Or even a post-card?

If so then presumably the building was well known enough to have had such a picture taken of it.

What makes you think John is Uncle John - and do you know anything about him...?

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
(Book-marking !)

My initial thought was a hospital or convalescent home somewhere ... its somewhat similar to Harefield Hospital where I had TB in the 1950's ... but its not that.

Can anyone do anything to enlarge the cars ... or could Justkia scan the bit with the cars at a much higher mag and definition please ?
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lookingforold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
I think it could be quite modern. The number os smallish cars parked and the fact that there are no chimneys suggests central heating whereas the old 'workhouses' had dozens of chimneys. Looks like a religious statue on the gate pillar on the RH side of the photo.
Snell Brentford cira 1910: Canada cira 1924

Snell; Southampton 1920

Payne: Old Itchen Ferry Village, Woolston, Southampton Cira 1800 to 1930

Price: HMS Collosus & Victory cira 1900

Ernest Cooper; Cornwall, b about 1880 to 1900; Cornwall

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
I know my great grandmother (the likely giver of the pic) died "at home" and didn't go anywhere to convalesce.
I know from my uncle that great grandma enjoy taking "little trips" and always sent John a postcard or bought a photograph back (although, sadly, most of these have been lost/disposed of over time).
John is the only John in that family branch for a few generations - so it's purely guess work that it's noted to him.

My grandparents don't recognise the place. John doesn't recognise it and when asked it he thought it was from his nan the reply was "oh, I wouldn't know" - he must have cared at some point as she only sent postcards to him and not his 2 brothers.
I'd think it's probably a professional photo rather than a "holiday snap".

It looks to me as if the people in the lower tier (outside the low wall) are playing boules maybe.

Oh and great granddad was a GWR plate-layer if that gives any clues.

Here's close ups of the cars (turned sideways to fit better) and the people.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
... boules ... or croquet ?

Those open folding doors are so typical 1930's ... metal frames, with lots of tiny panes of glass ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
the two white cars on the left (4th and 5th) look to me like a VW beetle and then a Citroen 2CV - a dishy.voe. That would make it 60's and 70's I think.

Did you get a lot of dishy.voes (DeuxChevaux) in Britain ?? That might make a continental location more likely.  Most cars seem to be parking bonnets to the left, which is also continental practice - drive on the right, park on the right, in the direction of travel.

Definitely european cars, not american.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
2CV's were quite popular in England, commonly known as "Dolly" apparently.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***