Author Topic: Do You Recognise This Building?  (Read 19832 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Recognise This Building?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all...just some thoughts...

The phrase "the home" is interesting.   I'm thinking...

.. perhaps a convalescent home of some kind. 

.. it reminds me of pictures of war hospitals where wounded recover...you see pictures of soldiers sitting in wheel chairs on lawns.

... it looks VERY like an independent/boarding school I know in Oxfordshire and
also a very similar boarding school somewhere in Berkshire.  I've looked at pix for those and it is not the same building but the shape of the building and especially the clock tower make me think that either it was a school converted for use as a home/hospital during the war, or a home which was taken over by a school later.

Here's some pix with the buildings and clock towers to show what I mean..
http://www.bruernabbey.org/
http://www.london-learning.com/section/about/images/feb08.jpg

There is a list of independent schools here.... http://www.isc.co.uk/schools-by-letter.htm

Many of the links to schools have pictures but too many to go through at the moment.  Perhaps narrowing down an area first might help?  Also - can anyone tell from the cars or the road whether this is in fact in the UK.   It is always possible it is abroad - New Zealand or Canada maybe?

Milly ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
Just bookmarking this if that's OK (too late here for me to get involved)  ;)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
... but vegetation and worn walking path at the front of the picture, at first glance suggests, 'seaside'.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
John has always lived in the Warwickshire/Coventry area, but it's definitely not local.
His grandmother used to send him postcards from all over the UK (yet my grandparents don't seem to recall her travelling - such is life).

It's only a guess that this photo is from her, the writing on the back is similar to postcards from her, but on the photo the writing is vertical whereas the writing on the postcard I have (post marked "Portsmouth & Southsea 8pm 27 May 1961") is slanted to the right.

I've asked my uncle but he doesn't know where it is, or even if it was from his grandmother or not.

John wasn't born until 1949 and his grandmother died in 1966, so I'll hazard a guess at it being between those dates.
Looking at the full size image the cars are all parked up and seem to face in both directions.
I have no idea about the building at the top right, although I can see it does kind of look like a small stadium of some sort.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 15:32 BST (UK) »

Not too sure if this has made it any better, it does look like somewhere where people are convalescing ? Can anyone else make out what appears to be beds or loungers near the windows ??

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 15:52 BST (UK) »
I thought that they might be sun loungers and it is reminiscent of some convalescent homes, I had a look at some of the Railway Convalescent Homes but it isn't one of the ones I have pictures of.  Likely to face south, so if coastal, is the sea to the bottom or to the left?  The number of cars but lack of parking spaces in the building grounds suggests late 50s or early 60s to me

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
There was a convalescent holiday home for coalminers in Blackpool...
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
Not sure of this now!!
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
it looks like the convelecence home in blackpool for miners , home is in the north of blackpool think it is now closed