Author Topic: I'm having doubts?  (Read 13138 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having doubts?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Sorry, I assumed you had A****y b/c you had posted the census info.

Regarding Ann Watts and Walter Tye............

After further mulling, it is my humble opinion that you need to order the marriage cert for this couple, as also suggested by wozzle on one of your other threads.

The cert should give you both fathers and what they did for a living. That will help us to find (hopefully) the correct Ann and Walter in the earlier Censi. You should also bear in mind that Ann may just think she was from Somerset if she had moved there as a very young child and then grew up there.

I don't think Ann the daughter of Hephzibah would be your Ann. The IGI has her extracted baptism in 1828 but has her birth in 1822 so this Ann would be considerably older. Her age is rounded down to 15 on the 1841 Census but she would have been 18-19.

Regards,
Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish. I am a bear with a small brain trying to unravel this thread. I am currently trying to establish a link between Isaac Watts the hymnwriter, and the Watts families in Frome. I am starting from the other end, and am trying to piece together the descendants of Isaac Watts siblings. Is there any possibility of obtaining a transcript or photocopy of the relevant part of the diary you mention. This would be most valuable. I have to say that so far I have failed to establish a link, but there is a persistant rumour of a connection.
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 June 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyndon, could you tell me what connection you have to the Watts from Frome.  In the diary I have a entry - regarding the Watts - Tye family who are suppose to be another branch of the family, as yet I havent made that connection neither have I made the connection to Isaac Watts the hymnwriter.  I have a Watts from Frome who married into the Watts-Tye family.  Also a Walter Tye married a Watts from Frome.  Regards Pauline
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 June 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to locate Ann Watts birth, she married a Walter Tye 20 Jul 1834 Mendlesham & appears in the 1881 Census Queen St Hadleigh Suffolk.
Walter Tye H M age 49 Mendlesham Grocer Master employing 1 man 2 Lads
Annie Tye wife age 52 Frome
Edward Watts Tye son unm age 22 born Hadleigh Draper
Lizzie Watts Tye dau unm age 17 born Hadleigh Scholar
Isaac Watts Tye son unm age 15 born Hadleigh Grocers Asst

I am looking for Ann Watts birth around 1829 Frome, and her parents names as I believe they are connected to my family of Watts who lived in Wokingham & were born in Romsey Hampshire.  My great x2 grandmothers niece kept a diary and mentions this family as another connection to Isaac Watts Hymnwriter, unfortunately I believe this not now to be true!

I would be grateful for any help.
regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 June 09 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyndon, could you tell me what connection you have to the Watts from Frome. 

My earliest Watts in Frome is David Watts, B. 1755 in Corsley. He moved to Trudoxhill. He was minister in the chapel there until his death in 1822. He had a son John, and I have traced many of John's descendants. He also had two daughters, about whom I know very little. I don't know of any other children at the moment. A usually reliable source of information in Frome believes there is a link between this Watts family and Isaac Watts.

Regards Lyndon
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 June 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, so we could be distantly related!  I will send you what I have so far, and will try to send you the information over this weekend.  Regards trish

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 June 09 16:46 BST (UK) »
I shall look forward to reading what you have, and collaborating further. In the meantime, some of my research on my branch of the family is here:
http://www.btinternet.com/~lyndon11/sarah_watts.htm
Too much detail, I'm sure, but may give you an idea of my interest. But the Isaac Watts link is fascinating. When a rumour comes from two good independent sources, it is well worth further research. I'm excited!

Best wishes
Lyndon

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 12:32 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I have tried to attach the document but it says its too big!  If you could supply your email address, I can send it there, i looked for a email address on the link you gave me. 1841 the Census mentions a Christiana Clanville who was married to Rev Richard Clanville and lived in Wiltshire Boreham Road Warminster.  Christiana married James Watts after his first wife died.  James was born 1805 Romsey.

Here is a transcription of the diary pages:
From Mrs Frank Hall (J Edith Watts)
3 Brothers
1. Harold & wife (no children) Auctioneer in Wokingham, Berks (much resembled his father James Watts - grandma's brother)
2. Ralph - wife Mary
3. Hubert Living in London
- Florrie Watts adopted sister, in the institution in wokingham (imagines she keeps loosing her opportunities)

Second page
Lizzie Tye - High View Cottage, Monewden Woodbridge
Brother at Ipswich - Edward Watts Tye
Her mother & Grandmother Quick werer cousins - descended from the two branches of Issac Watts's  brothers.