Author Topic: I'm having doubts?  (Read 13140 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having doubts?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 20:31 BST (UK) »
No, there are three James Watts, James Watts snr born 1804, either Romsey or From Somerset.  Children of the Above James Watts, James Watts jnr married Julia Heffer Mar q 1869 Wokingham father James Watts snr & Elizabeth Maria Weeks married 27 April 1829..  There was another James Henry Watts born 1842? but died 1846? bur in Baptist Church Wokingham. James Watts jnr died 25 Dec 1923, thats for sure, I have this.
Here I am a little blurred as James Watts who married Julia Heffer I have his birth at Jun q 1846, but cannot confirm this.  But on the tombstone it reads Elizabeth Maria Watts with infant son James Henry died 1846.
Blimey, hope you can understand this!
regards Trish
I seem to be digging a hole here!
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 21:00 BST (UK) »
If it helps I have the 1881 Census
James Watts Head M Male 35 Wokingham Auctioneer etc
Julia wife F age 34 born Wokingham
Julia Edith F age 6 born Wokingham Scholar
Florence J H Davies Adopted dau age 10 Ashburton Devon Scholar

Julia Edith (aka Edith) was the diary writer, she mentions Florence J H Davies as her adopted sister and they actually lived together and ran a laundry in Wokingham. Florence was her cousin, (mother Agnes Sophia Watts father: Thomas Roberts Davies of Newmarket Canada west, Agnes was the sister of Rebecca Maria Quick nee Watts - my great x2 grandmother). 
James Watts (above in census) was in business with his wife's two brothers Henry Weeks & James Weeks, they ran Auctioneers, Estate agents in Wokingham. Which was taken over by Martin & Pole.  I have been in touch with them & they have provided lots of info about the Weeks family.
Julia Edith mentions in the diary about Lizzie Watts Tye & Edward Watts Tye, saying that this was another branch back to what they believed was the hymnwriter Isaac Watts. I know that Lizzie & Edwards parents were Walter & Ann Tye nee Watts.  I found Ann Tye nee Watts bap 22 Jun 1828 Frome her parents being Thomas Watts & Ann surname unknown.
Since then I have found the marriage of Edward Watts Tye to Emma Amelia Watts Mar q 1885 Bath.  Emma Amelia Watts was born 2nd May 1869 Frome.
Althought this doesnt prove a link between my Watts family & the Watts Tye family, there maybe a link between Ann Tye nee Watts and Emma Amelia Watts.

Sorry trying to sort this out in my head, and I thought my calmly writing this down I might get it straight, regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
Understand it.

Edit... you're still typing faster than me ;D  but the info is useful for my mulling.

Now then....my thoughts about young James

There is a death registered in Wokingham for a James Henry Watts in 1842 (FreeBMD Index). I was wondering if the gravestone reference may possibly mean that Maria was buried with him (same grave) but not that the baby died with her in 1846 (is that the exact wording on the tombstone?). This would explain the James in the 1861 Census and reference to Christianna as step mom that Debbie found. The only way you are going to know for sure is to purchase the 1846 birth cert. But let's see if we can sort some of this out first.

Hope this makes sense?

Back to mulling.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
Another question.....

Who is Isaac the hymnwriter....just found the answer further back :)

But.....is he a third Isaac then?
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
The hymnwriter is a Isaac Watts very famous born  Southampton. 

As yet not proved that my family of Watts are linked.  As Isaac Watts hymnwriter was never married but came from a large family.

regards Trish

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 02:37 BST (UK) »
Isaac the hymnist seems an interesting fellow (googled him) but I digress.

Some thoughts about James Watts snr.....trying to get the 2 (Romsey vs Frome) straight in my head.....

You have James and Maria with Agnes and Rebecca in 1841 Census, James is a Glazier and NOT born in Berks

You have James and Christianna with the 2 girls in 1851 Census, James a Plumber/Painter and born Romsey, Hants

In 1861 you have James and Chrisanna (sic?) with James jnr, James is a Plumber and Glazier and born Romsey, Hants.

You have Maria's death in 1846 and James snr's subsequent marriage to Christiana. There is a tree on A****y for James Watts born 1804 which has a copy of the marriage cert for James and Christiana.......look under "photos". It gives his father as Isaac and the occupations of both men. I think James is down as a Plumber and Glazier. And you can connect the deaths of Maria and Christiana to James born Romsey.

So I believe that James born in Romsey, Hants s/b your ancestor. Rebecca Maria's marriage cert should give you her father as James with his occupation as some combination of Plumber/ Glazier/ Painter. You might consider ordering this one at some point.

I don't believe James Watts born in Frome, Somerset would be your direct ancestor but could be distantly related. Or not related at all?

Hope this will help settle the one question you had re: the 2 James snrs.

And.....BTW, did you see my post (# 11) about James Henry' death?

Will keep mulling.

Regards Polarbear :)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
I am afraid I dont have access to A******y, would love to see it though.  I didnt see your post either regarding James henry's death, please can you send again?  Regards Trish

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 13:42 BST (UK) »
I didnt see your post either regarding James henry's death, please can you send again? 

As polarbear says, it is reply no 11 on this thread (on page 1 since we are now on page 2) - but this link will take you there if necessary:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,375230.msg2488801.html#msg2488801

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
I have that James Watts was born 1804- 06 according to 1841 Census where he says not born in County of Berkshire.  Could it be possible that he was born elsewhere?

Parts of Wokingham and several nearby parishes were in Wiltshire until 1836 - so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 'not born in county'.

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk