Author Topic: Robert and Mary Clark in St. Lawrence County, NY in 1850  (Read 1120 times)

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Robert and Mary Clark in St. Lawrence County, NY in 1850
« on: Wednesday 15 April 09 18:37 BST (UK) »
Please would someone look up Mary and Robert Clark in the 1850 census for me? I believe that they were in St. Lawrence County. They were both Scottish. She was born about 1817, and I don't know about him.

Thank you
Isobel

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Mary Clark in St. Lawrence County, NY in 1850
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
You can check the 1850 Census for free here:  http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1401638  I see a Mary Clark of that age & born in Scotland in St. Lawrence Co., but she appears to be with an Austin Clark.

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help

Isobel

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Did Robert and Mary have any children who would be with them?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
I don't know for certain. They did have a son, Thomas, who was born about 1840, also in Scotland.

My reason for thinking that they were in New York, not necessarily St. Lawrence county, was from Mary's father's will. That was written in 1842, and mentions his daughter and son-in-law, Mary and Robert, who he says were in NY. They were back in Scotland by November, 1850. Mary's brother, Alexander Watters, also apparently went to America sometime before 1850, but I can't narrow him down by relatives. When I saw a list of Clarks from Scotland in NY, and saw that there was a Robert and a Mary, with Mary being the right age, I just hoped that they would be my Mary and Robert. I guess not.

Thanks
Isobel

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
The reason I asked is I found an entry on a special schedule to the 1851* Canada census for a Clark family. This schedule has a column "Residence if out of limits" and Chicago is listed for them. The family consists of Robert (36, confectioner, born Scotland), Mary (33, born Scotland), Thomas (12, born Scotland), John (8, born Scotland), James (6, born Scotland), Christina (3, born Scotland) and Mary (1, born Toronto). Here's a link to the image at Library and Archives Canada:
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1851_pdf/e096/e002381416.pdf

*Note: The census was originally planned for 1851 however delays occurred and the official enumeration date of this entry is 11 Jan 1852.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Oooh! Now that looks really interesting. Especially seeing the names.  There's Thomas, the first boy, who's roughly the right age. And then the girl, Christina. Mary's mother was called Christian, though I've also seen the name down as Christina.

I know that Mary's nephew and niece went to Canada later. Maybe they went to stay with their Aunt Mary originally! Could be a whole new line of investigation. Thank you so much for this.

Mary is a sideshoot of my family, but I'm interested in the complete lot of them since the family is quite involved.

This great. Thank you again
ISobel