Author Topic: BRITTAIN/BONE/RUDDOCK  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BRITTAIN/BONE/RUDDOCK
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my gt.gt.grandfather Thomas Bone a Blacksmith married to Jane Brittain on 1881 census with son George Brittain Bone and two daughters and living at  7,Wilson St, Middlesborough with his Mum-in-law. He was 28 years old. Unfortunately I have no other details pre 1881 so was hoping to track him down via 1871 census and find out possibly where he lived. It states on 1881 census that he was born in Middlesborough. That's all I have. Can anyone help me to find his parents via 1871 census? He would have been 18 and poss. an apprentice Blacksmith? (No luck with a birth cert either)
Also any RUDDOCKS (nee his mum-in-law) living in Stokesley pre 1871?
Many thanks
Debbie
 ;D

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRITTAIN/BONE/RUDDOCK
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 05 15:16 GMT (UK) »
There is this Thomas BONE, blacksmith, in Middlesborough who may turn out to be related:

Lower East St, Middlesborough

Thomas BONE head mar 47 blacksmith b.Gateshead
Margaret wife 40 b.Gateshead
Joseph son 18 smith
George son 16 smith
Elizabeth dau 15
Margaret Ann dau 7
Isabell dau 4

All children born Middlesborough

RG10/4890 folio 4 page 1

They have sons of the right age but not the right name - could it be a mistake and one of them should say Thomas?  Or could your Thomas have had another name ie. Joseph?  Maybe he wasn't at home or maybe he wasn't even anything to do with them?

Have you not had any success with a marriage certificate for Thomas & Jane?  That should furnish some more details on both of their families and give a firmer grounding for other research.

With regards to the RUDDOCKs, it would probably be best if you could post the whole 1881 census entry so that it is clearer and to save people having to look it up.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: BRITTAIN/BONE/RUDDOCK
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 05 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that. It's certainly a possibility isn't it! Will post details of 1881 census pronto. :-[
Grateful for advice and help.
Best Wishes
Debbie
 ;D