Author Topic: Neil (O'Neill) and Lowery help  (Read 4871 times)

Offline cathiesh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neil (O'Neill) and Lowery help
« on: Thursday 16 April 09 06:38 BST (UK) »
I have some questions regarding my great-grandfather and great-grandmother and hope that someone can help.  Their names on their marriage certificate are listed as James Neil and Anne Lowery and they were married on the 21 October, 1883 in the Roman Catholic chapel at Bagenalstown, County Carlow.  I have looked on the web and find 2 churches in Bagenalstown. Does anyone know which church they would have been married in at that time?

Also, they were both listed as being resident at Sliguff at the time of their marriage.  He was a labourer and she was a servant. How big would Sliguff be?  The Google Earth images aren't very clear.

James Neil was born in Newtown and Anne Lowery was born in Ballinkillin. Are there records for either of these places where I might find out more information about their parents?  I think that Anne's parents were James Lowery (also spelt as LOWRIE, LOWARY, LOWRY) and Anne Welsh.  James' father was also called James Neil. Witnesses at their wedding were James Flanagan and Margaret Lawlor.  The priest who married them was the Rev. R Bourke who I think was a curate at the time of the marriage. In the 1881, Slater’s Directory of Ireland, there is a Bourke, Rev. Richard, Bagnalstown listed.

James and Anne emigrated to Australia in 1885, arriving in Mackay in Queensland in the ship Wistow Hall on the 22 August 1885.  They settled in the area and, like many others, their surname over the years changed from Neil to O'Neil to O'Neill.

If anyone has any information or places where I could look online, I would appreciate it.

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Neil (O'Neill) and Lowery help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 October 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I can't really give you an answer on the one about which church in bagenalstown, though one question would jump to mind, were they both operating at that time?
the sliguff question, I can make a suggestion. You could take a look at the griffiths valuation site
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch
Sliguff is a civil parish that, according to this site has 18 townlands, and there seem to be quite a number of families living there, maybe you can take a look?
Though not in 1883 and actually taken between 1852/3, it will give you an estimate of the size and population, as well as the local names.
I hope this has been some help
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline cathiesh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate the help.

Regards

Cathie

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
you're welcome
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.