Author Topic: Clemson/Clempson  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Matt C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clemson/Clempson
« on: Thursday 16 April 09 10:01 BST (UK) »
Is anyone out there researching Clempson or Clemsons in Warwickshire. Mine are mostly around the Polesworth/Kingsbury area of North Warwks from the late 18th century onwards. Would be interested in comparing notes with anyone with an interest in this name.

Offline Kohab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clemson/Clempson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 09 22:24 BST (UK) »
I will have to check my program tomorrow, but my GG Grandfather Thomas Jinks, who worked on Robert Peels estate at Drayton Bassett just over the boarder in Staffs, remarried a Clempson after the death of his first wife. Her father was born in Bentley. I will dig out the bit that I know and post it tomorrow.

Offline Matt C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you - that would be very interesting. My Clempsons do feature in Bentley.

Look forward to hearing what you have.

Matt.

Offline Kohab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
Matt,

Checked my program and info I have is as follows.

Thomas Jinks, bn Abt 1834, Sutton Coldfield, married a Marria Alsopp on 9/11/1863, they having 5 children. Sometime between 1874 and 1881, Maria died. Thomas then re married a Jane Clempson, bn Abt 1855, Drayton Bassett. They are listed as living at Farm House, Wilnecote Staffs in 1891 census.

By the 1901 census they are living at )what appears to be ) Hack Ag Rowe, Wilnecote. Jane's mother is living with them at this time.

Jane Clempson appears to be the daughter of John Clempson bn Abt 1820, Bently and Jane Dewell, abt 1824, Drayton Bassett. They married 12/10/1846, Middleton, Warks. They are listed in 1861 census as having 4 children..

John's parents were Edward Clempson and Jane.

Let me know if this fits in?

Best Wishes

Offline Matt C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 09 20:30 BST (UK) »
It doesn't fit in with what I know but the Bentley Clempsons are my stumbling block at the moment. The furthest back I've managed to get in the Clempson line is John Clempson who was born (according to census entries but not in any parish registers I've managed to find) in Bentley in around 1780. I think I did come across Edward in my research - I'd have to dig out my notes - and I would guess that there is a good chance that he was my John's brother, but nothing I can find proves it. There weren't many Clempson's in that locality a that time according to the records, so it seems likely they are related.

Thanks for passing that info on - it's something else to keep in mind ...

Matt.

Offline Kohab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 April 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you are aware but Bentley came under Shustoke in the 18th C, so you may need to check there. Otherwise try Merevale.