Author Topic: King Family - "Huguenot" or just "not"  (Read 5853 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
King Family - "Huguenot" or just "not"
« on: Thursday 16 April 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
I have been researching all my family lines and have really struck hurdles in two of my lines.
One that puzzles me is my King family of London and there may have been a big clue in a reply I received a while ago on another question I put up on  Rootschat.
My King family only goes back as far as John King baptised on 8th February 1739 at Old Church, St. Pancras, in London, he was a son of John and Elizabeth King.
I know 1739 is a fair way to go back but I thought there may have been more recorded of them as they were a wealthy family who lived in Tavistock Place and I have records of some bonds that were sold by his son in 1818 and 1820 worth in today's money a million or so. My other main line of Bush who were equally wealthy is recorded for many more centuries back in wills and baptisms etc.
Recently on a question I had about my King family, someone replied to me that the Kings had Huguenot ancestry and that the name was originally le Roi.
Can anyone enlighten me any more about this and how can I find out whether my particular King family are descended from this heritage.
I am in New Zealand so cannot visit any of the archives where this history may be kept.
King William
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline wksatsrk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The King Family - "Huguenot" or just "not"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
I have had a quick look through some Huguenot surname lists, and I didn't see Le Roi there...but I didn't see my French name connection either, and many of my ancestors were born in the London Huguenot quarters.
Apparantly many Huguenots worshipped at the established Church Of England churches, and their birth and marriage records lie there, and many changed their names to a more traditional English form, such as your case.
I am only just discovering this part of my own family, so can offer no help at all sorry.
Taylor - Islington 
Smith - Bethnal Green/Hackney
Leake/Smith - Norfolk
Fish - Essex/Middlesex/London

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
Wksatsrk - thank you for your reply - the day may come when the information turns up which would be lovely, but for now I might have to be happy with my earliest King ancestor of 1739. I tried so hard with the knowledge I had, so there is still a question mark on this family for me and the file is always open.
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline celticmyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
Just a thought......have you looked at them being gypsy/Romany? King is a fairly common name amongst the Rrom....my partner has a line of them.
Sweeney-Derry City, Dublin and Skerries.
Morrell-Dublin

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 02:56 BST (UK) »
HI Celticmyth,
What a good idea to have a look at another area of life, not certain about that though as they were extremely well-heeled, they did appear to be fairly rich and conservative but the idea of having some gypsies in the family really appeals,
Thanks
Robin
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 July 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Some Romanies became extremely rich through business connections, so i wouldn't discount the possibility.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline John Harrison King 111

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: King Family - "Huguenot" or just "not"
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 10:55 GMT (UK) »
The King Family in England i did read somewhere a Kynge family were Dutch and had real strong ties to Huguneuts in England, I m kinda of tired atm i thought i would respond...my family came to SC on a boat in 1670 called the carolina,, they settled in goose creek and berkley county eventually york,,highly connected with Huguneuts Samuel King of cypress pond plantaton, livinging beside marions like frances swamp fox marion th movie the patriot was about,, these people have an amazing history you may want to research all them way back to england and france tells a great story .. i think they connect to the oak island mystery in a big time way just cant get anyone to listen lol in short samuel ball was a slave on elias balls plantation samuel ended up on oak island,, now research elias ball the huguneut,, and everyone next to kin,, brother in laws cousins check them out,,find your way back to england and find some kings,,,,possible some in temple church in london john king  ,, john harrison ,, and a few more names in sc