Author Topic: CAMERON family from Leith  (Read 16775 times)

Offline nelbec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CAMERON family from Leith
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
wiggo53 I am visiting Widnes library again on Friday 22nd May. I may have some news for you that should help. Fingers crossed.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
That sounds promising Nelbec  :) Fingers crossed from me too!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nelbec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 May 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hello hope you are feeling better. I have been to Widnes Cemetery and Widnes Library and found some things out I will let you know what I have found and what I think and see how we go. If I repeat myself I am sorry but I feel if I do the story then I can keep with the flow.

Ellen Cameron 22 spinster married Eric Ernest Priestly 24 bachelor 9th February 1918 at Chester Registry Office on special licence. Her fathers name on the certificate is DAVID CAMERON INNKEEPER. His father is HARRY PRIESTLY STORE KEEPER. Ellen and Eric both have addresses in Chester.

Eric's army papers were altered to change his next of kin from his father to ELLEN PRIESTLY of 16 MARGARET STREET WIDNES later an address in London and then Brisbane. As papers show when looking for ELLEN to send her ERIC'S medals.

On the 31st May 1918 there was an article in the Widnes Weekly News titled BROTHER AND SISTER ON ARMY SERVICE. It was about Private Alexander Cameron son of the late Mrs Cameron of 16 Margaret Street Widnes had been wounded and in hospital in Scotland. He had been in France for 16 months and 6 months ago was awarded the Military Medal. There is some information about him working at Widnes Foundry and attending St Marie's school?. His sister Mrs Ellen Priestly who has recently married an Australian soldier has worked for 15 months for the Navy and Army Canteen Board 9 months of which were spent in France. She also served as a Steward on The Spectator a ship of the Harrison Line. There is a picture of Alexander and Ellen in the article.

In late June of 1918 another article in the Widnes Weekly News about the funeral of an Australian soldier named Eric Ernest Priestly at Widnes Cemetery. In the report it states the chief mourners were Ellen Priestly (Wife) Mr W Cameron (Father-in-law) Alexander Cameron (Brother-in-law) and others. The funeral party was from 16 Margaret Street Widnes.

On my register of people buried in Widnes Cemetery I have found Mrs MATILDA CAMERON 40 years old of 16 Margaret Street Widnes who passed away and was buried in 8th January 1918 Plot Number 11R grave 2696. There is no report in the local paper of the funeral because of the war and shortage of paper so no details.

Mr William Cameron passed away 16th March 1954 Plot Number 12C grave 4644. There is a report ( and a photograph) in the local paper which states Mr William Cameron of 16 Margaret Street Widnes a native of Scotland aged 76 he was at one time employed by ICI and in later life at Widnes Foundry. Bearers were T.O,Connor, F. Cameron, H. Pountain, J.Smith, W.Smart, W.Lamb and about 20 mourners.

William and Matilda Cameron also had another Daughter named Matilda and she married John Henry Pountain of Widnes. She died 22nd February 1983 and she had 4 sons and 5 daughters, she is buried in Plot Number 17R grave number 5609 with her husband.

I cannot find any of this Cameron family in the 1901 or 1911 census of England and Wales and they must be on the Scottish census of which I do not have access, Sorry.

I believe you need to look on the Scottish site and look for,

1901 William Cameron Born 1876 age 25
         Matilda Cameron Born 1878 age 23
     Alexander Cameron Born 1894 age 7

1911 William Cameron Born 1876 age 35
         Matilda Cameron Born 1878 age 33
     Alexander Cameron Born 1894 age 17
         Matilda Cameron Born 1906 age 5

I really hope this helps you and is the true story, but I have trawled through information for my family and found mistakes that are so simple. We do forget in those days they travelled the country for work and money indeed the travelled the world. Also education was not available to all.

If I can help anymore I will try my best It has been fun doing it but I have headbutted the wall a few times.

Nearly forgot Margaret Street in Widnes was back to back terraced house,s and is now a green field park with kids swings and slides, O how things change. My grandfather would not remember it today and yet he lived there for over 30 years in that street.

Offline nelbec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 22 May 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
I missed out the most important person the topic Ellen Cameron for the Scottish census SORRY.

1901   Ellen Cameron Born 1896 age 5

1911   Ellen Cameron Born 1896 age 15

Headbanging again.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 22 May 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Nelbec

What a fantastic summary you have done  :)

So there was a change of father's name for Ellen as we thought from what you have posted earlier with the reference father in law W(illiam) Cameron regarding Eric's funeral.

I do think that the marriage and 1890 - 1911 census entries we have for the Higgings family is Ellen's family, even more so now with your additional reference to a daughter Matilda who also shows in the Higgins household in 1911 at the right age. For this family we tick the boxes on father's first name, mother's full name and Alexander/Ellen/Matilda. Also from that 1911 entry we have William Cameron, right age, living with the Higgins family and showing as a relative born in Scotland.

I suppose one last check would be for those Cameron/Kelso births we found on FreeBmd. At a guess I would say that these at least would show father as William Cameron and Matilda Kelso and possible at Margaret Street given the District of the last birth.

But William was not Ellen's father, he would look to be from what we have David Higgins. As to what happened to David Higgins, not sure. Can't see easily see a marriage for William and Matilda so maybe a possibility that they didn't marry (if David Higgins had not died at this point perhaps?).

Great work Nelbec  :)

Monica

Offline wiggo53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 23 May 09 15:55 BST (UK) »
BIG gold stars to you both and then double it.I  cannot thank you both enough  for going to all of this trouble for me.  Both explanations given by you certainly make a lot of sense and would explain why it has been so difficult finding nans birth certificate or register and the marriage certificate for Matilda and who ever else she partnered up with/  When I get home (Or, maybe that should be, if  I get home from hospital I am going to endeavour to locate both of the forementioned articles.
I cannot believe how all encompassing this geneology business is ..after all, it is now 2 am and I am sitting up in my hospital bed doing this in the dark.
You may be pleased to know that I am going to follow my grandad's trail as well, which hopefully wont be so mysterious. The  biggest problem therre is that for the past 5 generations, the senior male name  has been Alexander Reid and yes, he was born in Scotland too!  Many thanks again for all of your help. x x

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 23 May 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Just concentrate on getting better Heather  :) You did make me laugh though with the idea of you on your laptop in your hospital bed at 2.00 am catching up!

Just one more thing now to give David Higgins his place in all of this. Parents show on the marriage entry to Matilda Kelso as Alexander Higgins and Mary McKendrick (or McKendry/ McKindry -  lots of variants for this surname).

1. AGNES HIGGINS Birth: 30 SEP 1863 Old Monkland, Lanark
2. CATHERINE HIGGINS Birth: 09 MAR 1865 Old Monkland, Lanark
3. ALEXANDER HIGGINS  Birth: 26 JUN 1866 Old Monkland, Lanark
4. DAVID HIGGIANS Birth:25 FEB 1870 Kilmacolm, Renfrew
5. HELEN HIGGINS Birth: 18 JUN 1872 Middle-East-West Parishes, Greenock, Renfrew
6. MARGARET HIGGINS Birth: 04 JAN 1874 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew

Parents' marriage shows on 16 APR 1861 in Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton.

Big family by 1881:

Alexander Higgins 42, Foreman Town Cleansing Depart, b. Insch Parish, Wigtonshire
Mary Higgins 43, b. Ireland
Catherine Higgins 16
Alexander Higgins 14
John Higgins 12
David Higgins 11, b. Kilmalcolm, Renfrewshire
Helen Higgins 8
Margaret Higgins7
James Higgins    5
William Higgins 3
Robert Cameron 21, son in law, general labourer, b. Girvan, Ayrshire....I wonder if he had a brother called William!
Mary Ann Cameron (Higgins) 20, daughter, b. Duntocher, Dumbartonshire

Address: 84 Drumfrochar Rd, Greenock Middle

Something to work from on this line  :)

Monica

Offline jimmy1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
nelbec have you got a link to the photo in your reply n0 29
william cameron was my great grand father and one off the poll bearers was my dad matilda was my grand mother

thanx

Offline nelbec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
I found the photograph in the Widnes library archive department. The Widnes Weekly News micro film for around March/April of 1954. I took a copy but it did not turn out good enough to copy again.